Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Help Panel (Read Only)
  4. Baby Sleep Expert - Q&As (Read Only)
  5. Do our babies HAVE to be able to put themselves to sleep?

Do our babies HAVE to be able to put themselves to sleep? Lock Rss

I have a 7 month old who, since he was about a month old, has been rocked or held to sleep and then laid in bassinette/cot. He sleeps from about 7pm - 6am, maybe waking once or not at all. In the morning, I put him straight into bed with us and he may sleep for another 1/2 to 2 hrs. During the day he will sleep from 20min - 1.5 hrs anywhere from 2 - 5 times a day. I was initially worried he wasn't getting enough sleep during the day to develop fully, however he is crawling, standing, starting to "talk", etc.

As I don't have a problem with our situation (yet?), what are the benefits of controlled comforting for us? As he gets older he is easier to get to sleep - will he eventually be able to just fall asleep by himself, if I put off the controlled crying for long enough? I have read others' emails to you and it seems that even if I went through controlled comforting and it works, in a few months, it may be required again. Is all that work and distress necessary?

Trisha, Qld, 7mth baby

Hi Patricia,

Controlled comforting techniques are not for everyone, if things are working okay for you then don’t fix what’s not broken. However, I do think that there is a lot of catnapping being done during the day and you would probably benefit from using some techniques to resettle to achieve longer naps and not so many.

Best wishes, Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic