Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Help Panel (Read Only)
  4. Baby Sleep Expert - Q&As (Read Only)
  5. 2 year old won't go to bed at night when we have visitors

2 year old won't go to bed at night when we have visitors Lock Rss

My 2 and a half year old son will not go to bed when we have visitors. I try to persist with him, often for over an hour or two, but he just keeps crying and gets so worked up that eventually I have to let him stay up or he literally makes himself sick (ie. he vomits). On a usual night when it is just my husband and I, he goes to bed and is asleep within 15-30 minutes.
I am open to any suggestions as to what I can do as I don't want to have to put a stop to having visitors.
N.B. He has been in a bed since March this year

Kathryn, Bathurst, NSW, 2 and a half year old son

Hi Kathryn,

I guess I have to ask how many times a week you have visitors? If not that often then I would say don’t make a battle out of it. But if it is too frequent then you need to take control and persist with the same routine no matter what. We all hate to think we are missing out on something but a compromise may be the way to go, both with the visitors and your son.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Thanks for your reply Maree. We tend to only have visitors once a fortnight at the moment so I think your advice to not make it a battle is good advice. I will see how we both go next weekend when our visitors come over.

Kathryn, Bathurst, NSW, 2 and a half year old son

Sign in to follow this topic