Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

21 month old sleep problems Lock Rss

Hi Maree, My 21 month old daughter wakes once or twice through the night wanting to be picked up and screams hysterically until we do and this often ends in us putting her into our bed - a big no-no, I know. I tried controlled crying last night and this lasted from midnight till 1.30am and she did go to sleep in her cot but is this normal for them to cry for 1 and a half hours? Putting her to bed at night also results in screaming matches every night, but I never pat her to sleep. It's really frustrating because we don't know what we're doing wrong and she used to sleep perfectly well. She does have a dummy and is reliant on this to go to sleep. Do you think we should just bite the bullet and get rid of it and try to fix the sleep problem all at the one time with controlled crying and no dummy? Please help.

Nicole NT

Hi,
Try getting rid of the dummy during the day .You can try settling her with the dummy but removing it just before sleep comes so as it is not the last thing that she remembers before falling asleep, this will help to break the association with sleep.

When I got rid of my sons dummy (at 2) I put salt on it each time he asked for it and when he gave it back I wash it and secretly put more on and told him it was yuk. He had a good long cry for about 20mins and that was about it.

Toddlers respond best to a regular routine so try and have dinner, bath, quiet play and bed and use our settling techniques if you need to.

You can get an overview of our settling program from the <a href=" https://www.huggies.com.au/BeingAParent/YourBab... Baby’s Sleep</a> section of the Huggies site or for more detail, and a visual demonstration, from <a href="It&#39;s time to sleep&lt;/a" />It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.
Cheers
Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic