Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

What happens once baby is here...? Lock Rss

Hi There

I am due in just under 7 weeks. I was talking to a girlfriend about what to take to hospital, as she's has just been in. This may sound silly but there were a few things I just didn't know - and I am worried if I was ever going to be told....

Firstly... I asked my girlfriend if I needed to take my own baby shampoo and Johnson and Johnson lotions to bath baby at hospital, and she said they recommend you don't use those products until they are a little older. So what do they bath babies in? Just warm water? I feel silly not knowing this & wonder if anyone would have told me.

I feel like there is so much I don't know about when baby is first here. Can you briefly tell me what may happen once he's born, like in the first 24 hours? I attend a Clinic at my hospital so I dont have a midwife to ask.

Thank you !!

im not a midwife , but u do ask some funny questions, of corse they bath your baby with johnson bath or you can bring your own shampoo it should be fine. i know its your first ,so goodluck with it.
hi, when i was in hospital, they bathed my DS in johnsons bath. and we used shampoo. that was the midwife. it doesnt hurt your baby. you will be fine. everything will fall into place. good luck with the birth

Tania. WA, Daniel - 26/01/06... smile

Hi,
Thank you for your enquiry. If possible it is best to enrol in preparation for pregnancy classes as they cover everything from signs of labour to newborn care. Some carer can recommend that a newborn not be bathed for a few days following birth to allow the baby to adjust to life outside the womb and to utilise the baby’s own moisturisers that are present following birth. Once a baby is born it is held closely by the family and is usually offered a breast feed. It then may be checked over by your carers and dressed. That’s about it for a while – you and your baby learn how to breastfeed and then you also learn to care for the baby, such as nappy changing.
Best wishes,
Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional.

everyone has a different opinion. I have 2 boys and I never bothered with products for the first few baths. but then I just used some baby milk bath, but if your not sure maybe borrow a book from the library about pregnancy and birth. They usually have advice on taking care of newborns and the 1st year of life.
I have a copy of (The New Pregnancy and Childbirth) by Sheila Kitzinger which was a fantastic resource.
It also has a list of things to take to hospital with you which you can use as a guide.
Once the baby is born its all trial and error really so good luck and hopefully I have given you some ideas.

nessk, QLD 2 boys

Sign in to follow this topic