Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Retinol (vitamin A) in skin care products Lock Rss

Dear Alex

I'm 37 weeks pregnant and I have just read on the Huggies website that you should not use skin care products that contain Retinol. I have been using a lip gloss, face cream and mask that contain Retinol.

Can use of these type of products realy harm my baby and shouldn't they be labeled as unsuitable for use during pregnancy? What sort of problems can Retinol cause?

Thanks for your time
Steff.

Hi Steff,
Thank you for your enquiry. Skin creams and products with Retin-A are not as toxic as vitamin A supplements that are taken orally but it is recommended that they are not used in pregnancy. It is highly unlikely that the use of these products has caused any problems to your baby but you need to mention it to your carers who may offer some further tests. Very high levels of vitamin A during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy have been shown to cause birth defects in some babies.
Best wishes,
Alex.

<a href="http://www.nswmidwives.com.au/">NSW Midwives Association</a>
Note: This information is not designed to replace that of your health professional
Sign in to follow this topic