Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

9 month old doesnt like reading Lock Rss

Hi I have a 9 month old daughter and I try to sit down and read to her but she doesnt seem interested she pulls to eat it and looks at the tv or just wants to go and play on the floor. Any suggestions
I know as an adult I can often take a while to settle into reading after a busy day especially when there might be lots on my mind. The process of reading, being still, and paying attention can be all too much to expect from a child less than one. I'd step back and take another approach to reading and books for your daughter, especially while she is so young.

Try and make the reading experience more about playing together and not so much about a rigid traditional reading type scenario. You might like to use cloth books, plastic bath books and books with rattles and extra sounds. Use the books as toys rather than objects that need to be read. Have a lots of books about and let your daughter interact with them on her terms. Cloth books and board books are tougher and can take the beating young children dish out.

As your daughter builds a strong and fun relationship with books her concentration and patience will increase and you will have more success reading full stories.

Keep up the interaction as these are the formative months when you are setting up a positive reading framework - even though you might feel it isn't working it is helping her in so many ways.

Brett

<a href="www.huggiesbookclub.com.au /">Huggies Book Club</a>
My 11 month old does the same thing. Whenever I try to read to him all he wants to do is eat the book. I tried giving him a book to chew on, while I read to him and that kind of works. But the best thing I did was to read to him when he wakes up, not the other way around. I found reading to him to get him to sleep just impossible because it was overstimulating him. But when I read to him when he is still a bit dozy (because he is a big sleeper) he enjoys it more. And I have 3 board books with bright plastic bits on them which he loves. He continually flips the pages over. Another book which I got him, which is his favourite is a peekaboo book. Where he has to move a little bit of cardboard to see the mummy animals and the baby animals. There are hardly any words, but its the process of holding a book and turning the pages and looking at the pictures which he likes.

Nicole, WA, 11mth baby

This is a copy of another post I submitted but I thought the content fitted this topic:
I love to hear people want to read to their children! As an ex-English teacher and learning support teacher I cannot recommend anything more important (except maybe sleep!)
I found reading in the morning to a younger baby was the first step and then if ever their was any other "down time" during the day I would read to them as well.

Small children need books that are interesting to both look at and touch- let them explore these books both by themselves and with you- save books with paper pages for the over twos and even then they will still need supervision to keep the pages safe.
The following are a list of my children's favourite "starter" books ( under 2s)
BOARD BOOK VERSION:
Miss Spider's New Car, by David Kirk
We're Going on a Bear Hunt, by Michael Rosen
Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy, by Lynley Dodd
Hairy Maclary Sit, by Lynley Dodd
Hairy Maclary Showbusiness, by Lynley Dodd
Zachary Quack, by Lynley Dodd
The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle
The Very Busy Spider, by Eric Carle
Gossie, by Olivier Dunrea
Gossie and Gertie, by Olivier Dunrea
Ollie, by Olivier Dunrea
Ollie the Stomper, by Olivier Dunrea
Mr Brown Can Moo, Dr Suess
One Fish Two Fish, Dr Seuss
Maisy's Train, by Lucy Cousins
Maisy's Fire Engine, by Lucy Cousins
Maisy Likes Dancing, by Lucy Cousins
Maisy Likes Music, by Lucy Cousins
Horns to Toes and In Between, by Sandra Boynton
Blue Hat Green Hat, by Sandra Boynton
Hippos go Beserk, by Sandra Boynton
Ten in the Bed, by Penny Dale
Where is The Green Sheep, by Mem Fox

I then found the Steve Parish board books can be of interest once they are over 12 months as young children like the clear pictures of animals.
The same with Thomas the Tank Engine Board Books- while the stories may not be the best the fact that the engines and other machines have faces keeps small children interested.
Any touch and feel books are a MUST- cheap ones can be found at chain book stores on special- look for ones such as The Naughty Puppy by Rod Campbell (he has wonderful children's books with simple illustrations- once they get older look out for his Flap books such as Dear Zoo)I try to keep flap books out of reach of under twos as they end up flapless!-same for pop up books- beautiful but fragile unless carefully supervised.

Basically authors you really have to consider are Lynley Dodd and Lucy Cousins for the under threes.
The younger the child- the shorter the reading session. Far better to spend a couple of minutes after breakfast each day rather than forcing a painful half hour when the child does not have the attention span to put up with it.
Aim for five minutes( or even two) until she is happy to stay with you for longer and then build up to a regular ten minutes every day or each morning and afternoon.
When she starts wanting more give her more- take your cues from her and keep it fun.
Enjoy your many years of reading ahead
HINT: Always read the book all the way through before you buy it or borrow from your library as you may have to read it and read it and read it- or it may be a dud!

lib+3

Sign in to follow this topic