Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Manual breast pumps vs Electric Pumps

Manual breast pumps vs Electric Pumps Lock Rss

Hi All,

I'm using an outdated manual pump which I borrowed from a friend and it takes about 20mins to get 150ml, not to mention the cramps experienced in my hand!

I want to purchase a breast pump but I'm not sure if I should get a manual or an electric pump. I'm not expressing frequently at the moment but I will be expressing at every feed when he is between 10-12months as I may be going back to work. I'd like to give my son breast milk up until he is 2yrs old.

Any suggestions?? (Please keep in mind that I can't afford the very expensive electric breast pumps!)

Nezzie, NSW, 3mth Baby

Whatever you do, don't buy the nuk electric pump! It's the biggest waste of money!!! The avent manual pump is really good, or the madela pump that you can connect to the big electric box, which you can hire from the chemist is the way to go.

Di, vic, Jai born 17/8/04

I brought the Medela Mini Electric Pump and it is brilliant. It wasn't the cheapest (not the most expensive either though) on the market but absolutely worth the money. I think you'll find everyone's advice is different though and it really comes down to personal preference but it you are going to be expressing that often for that long my advice is that electric is the way to go! Good Luck.
Susan

Susan, Auckland, NZ

Diddle,

I agree completely about the Nuk electric pump! I think i got about 10ml in 25 minutes!!!!

I like the Avent manual. I don't get anywhere near 150mls unless i'm fit to burst, but it is the best of the three i own!!!

PS Anyone want to buy a Nuk electonic pump...
LOL

Dette, DS 06.03, DS 10.04, DD 03.06 & Due Sept 07!

i agree i bought a nuk electric and its useless i was lucky to get 20 mls in 20 mins. not to mention sore after.i have heared that the madella are ment to be the most popular but i recomend hirinbg one from the chemist first to see if you like it. keep in mind though that not all woman can express. sometimes the milk just wont come no matter the pump.
i sucsessfully breast fed my boy till 7 months and he took a formula bottle at night to help him sleep through.

tamara

hi,
i've expressed all milk for my daughter since she was about a month old. i use the avent manual breast pump and find it great. it has a silicone cap that fits over the breast and makes it so much more comfortable to use. i haven't had any trouble with flow at all. now that ella is 9.5 months i can express twice a day 200mls each breast and give her 3-4 bottles a day.
i found when i used an electric pump it saved my wrists a little but took soooo loooong to empty each breast.
good luck with your decision making!

mel

mel, ella jasmine 13/06/04 & benjamin tyler 6/8/06

I am soo jealous of you mel! Even on a good day i can onlt express 120 combined, once, maybe twice! It's a real pain but did it for my eldest and will continue for at least another month with #2!

how frustrasting!
the way it worked for me was to gradually build up my supply like with regular breastfeeding. each time i expressed i would pump it for a couple of minutes after the milk had stopped flowing. also i initially started by expressing at 3 hourly intervals, even if i only got 40 mls combined, then went to 5 and so on. i hated doing it that often, it was really inconvenient but now its so much easier. i dont find i am engorged or uncomfortable either which is good.
hope this helps dette!

mel

Yeh, I did the same thing to start with. The only problem is that I'm a teacher and back at work 3 days. I express every night as my DS has a bottle of formula before bed, so I use this time to collect more for when he's at crèche. At work I have trouble expressing because of the time limitations. Some days I only have 25 minutes to eat, express and go to the toilet because of yard duties and lunch meetings!! It's also a pain because there's only one place I can express without worrying and it's the school bursar’s office. If the secretaries are in there doing something important I can't kick them out and there's nowhere else that I can go without worrying about giving children a whole new 'educational' experience!! Because I can't do it regularly it kinda stuffs around with it all. Nevermind, not much longer to go!

yeah, the tension'll make it harder. i know mine is always less when i'm in a hurry.
right now i am supplementing ella with formula as i just had my appendix out and DH is having to do all the feeds etc. i don't have much milk after illness and hospital stay. does your son notice the difference or object at all to having formula?

cheers,
mel

You poor thing! How are you coping with lifting etc??

I've also supplemented with a formula feed since he was around 4 weeks old. I did it for my eldest and it gave me a bit of 'me time' while also allowing hubby to bond. Neither of my boys had a problem taking the bottle or formula, so I'm really lucky.

I kinow i have plenty of milk (the weight gain is more than adequate!) but i just don't express well. The last few days I've been doing it by hand at home and I've been more successful. It's also helping to stimulate the milk ducts so it's a win/win situation!

hi dette,
it has been really difficult not being able to lift or cuddle ella but now i have healed a bit it is ok to lift or snuggle with her when she is still. luckily as it was easter we had the long weekend so DH could take over the parenting for a few days while i recovered. he has been wonderful. my mum and my in laws have also helped since he had to go back to work and hopefully by tomorrow i'll be ok alone again.
i think the best thing about expressing is that it means daddy can feed them too eh? ella seems to like formula better than my milk now, but after almost 10 months i am happy to make the break. i initially only intended to do it for 6 so i did ok!
what kind of pump do you use?

Sign in to follow this topic