Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

breastfeeding Rss

Hi I have a two months old baby, I'm disappointed with breastfeeding because my milk is dried up. I was b.feeding her at the beginning which took at least 1-1/2 hour at each session, after one hour she was beginning to cry and whenever I gave her a bottle of formula she was o.k. Therefore I found out that she never felt full with breasmilk and that's why she was crying. I had this dilemma: breastfed but a hungry and crying baby or a supplemented baby full and happy baby. After 4 or 5 weeks, she started to refuse my breast, since then I forced her to accept my breasts, it was half-succesful, but now for a couple of days she completely rejects my breasts! I tried to express my milk what I saw is horrible I can produce only 5-10 mg. I feel very guilty about it because people say that this was inevitable becuse I gave her the bottle too early! I don't know if this is true do you have any idea?
Hey Ays,
When my son was first born I had the same kind of problems with b/feeding him. He wouldn't take it and if and when he did it would take so long for him to have a feed. But I persisted and now (he's almost 1 yr) I am still breastfeeding him and its fantastic. He's healthy and happy and we've got no probs. It IS possible to use both the breast and the bottle and ultimately your her mother and you need to do what you feel comfortable with!
Hi Ays,

I was able to successfully breastfeed my baby until about 3-4 months and then just like yours was always unhappy. It turned out the poor bub was starving, so we started to suplement with the bottle and only fed him morning and night. Then I got a bug and didn't eat for 4 days so the milk went completely and was on the bottle completely. I liked the idea of being able to breastfeed while it was convenient, but once it got harder and more work to be able to continue, if that's what I wanted to do, it was easier to stay on the bottle and he was happier anyway. I also didn't have to worry about what I couldn't eat anymore. You can build up your supply with an apparatus you attach to yourself while they are feeding but for me it wasn't worth the extra work when I was already run off my feet. It is true that when you start to supplement with the bottle you lose your milk faster, but you were already having problems keeping up your supply, so don't feel guilty. Your baby is happy now, you know how much she is drinking each feed and you can feel comfortable eating and drinking what you want and someone else can do the feeds once in a while to give you a break. So that's good too.

You do what's best for you and your baby and don't worry about what people say about how you feed your baby. She is happy, healthy and growing. What more could you want?

Ange.
Hi there

My sister-in-law had the very same problem with her little boy.
When she returned home, she found that she wasn't really able to leave the lounge. He was constantly feeding and only sleeping for about 1/2 hour to an hour and then feeding again. She was in the same position as most new mums: breastfeed because they say thats whats best for your baby. But if you can't do it, you can't do it.
My mother-in-law and I actually went over there one night (around 9pm) with a can of formula for him. He skulled it. Then proceeded to sleep for 4 hours. She just burst into tears. She didn't have enough for her baby, not every woman does.
Please don't feel guilty about not feeding your baby breastmilk. You are there for bub, you are feeding him/her and taking the best care that you can, at the end of the day, does it really matter where your baby gets its nutrients from? You tried and thats really what counts.

A happy baby and mummy is always better solution.
Take care : )

Full time mum to Sam, Levi, April and Livvy QLD

Hi, When my son was born he was 6 weeks premmie, and I had heaps of milk. Because he was so small, he only had the strength to have one breast feed to two bottle feeds, and when it did go time for his breast feed, it would take me a good hour to feed him. In this time the poor little fellow would end up so weak from sucking that he usually fell sound asleep half way through his feed. As it turned out, I wasn't aware that my milk had dried up, so he was wearing himself out trying so suck something that wasn't there. He went onto the bottle went ahead in leaps and bounds, and has thrived ever since. He is now 8 1/2 yrs old. When I had my little girl, I found breastfeeding so much easier and natural. I breastfed my little girl, who is now 2yrs, for 19 months. When I gave up breastfeeding, I still had heaps of milk, and my daughter wasn't ready to give up, but I was. It started depressing me, as she was waking every hour, just to comfort suck, and every time I walked into a room, she wanted a drink, just because the mobile cow had arrived.
All kids are different, and no matter what you choose don't ever let anyone, including you, make yourself feel guilty. Everything we do is for our kids, and you will know what's is best for your kids. Second time round for breastfeeding almost always seems to be easier.
Children have a mind of their own from the minute they were born, yours knows that they can satisfy their hunger with the bottle, so be guilt free when you give it to them. Keeping your kids safe and healthy is the main thing, no matter how you achieve it.

Qld, Jayme 8 1/2yr boy, Kate 2yr girl

Sign in to follow this topic