Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Cleaning and Sterilising Bottles

Cleaning and Sterilising Bottles Rss

HELP!!
I'm having trouble getting the bottles really clean, I scrub them clean in warm soapy water rinse and then sterilise them by boiling for 5 minutes, when I retrieve the bottles from the boiling water, they have a white powdery film on them, the clininc nurse says this is the protein from the formula, she suggested rubbing salt to remove it, but its still not working. Is there anything else I can try??? Are there any other sterilisers I can use, what ones would be the best?? Helpme please, I'm really starting to pull my own hair out over this!!

Hi there,
I use really hot water to wash with or the dishwasher and they are always sparkling. Maybe change detergent. What sort of bottles are you using? I don't know if it has anything to do with boiling them, but you could try a different sterilizer like microwave, steam, etc. It might be something coming out in the teats or something to do with the water. What sort of formula do you use? Sorry, haven't experienced that one before.

Ange.
Hi Sally,
I sterlise my daughters bottles in the microwave in a bottle sterliser and haven't had any problems with her bottles not being clean. Maybe you could try this

Louise, Brisbane Qld. Mum to Ella and Luca

hi well i use the milton solution and i have no trouble with my bottles being clean they are always sparkling clean you can use tablets or the solution i use the tablets but the solution is the same it is easy just add 2 tablets to 4 litres of water then you can put anything in there and just leave it until you want to use it i find this very easy and very affective you have to change the solution though every 2 days i change mine.
nat
Imagine boiling water, they produce that white film on the rim of the pot where the water level was.
It's normal. That maybe the same thing that's happening to you.

If you're too worried, use a microwave steriliser. Allthough they can be really expensive. If you're using it all the time, then you can get your money's worth from it.

Zita, QLD, Mum of Patrick

i agree with twinkletoes. i used to boil my stuff to sterilize until i boiled dry and wrecked to bottles. i then used a steam sterilizer which i found silly as i was breastfeeding and not using that many bottles. both of these methods left the white film on them i then switched to milton and it hasn't happened since

Kelly,QLD, boy 23.01.03 and girl 08.04.05

Hi
Thanks for all your suggestions smile

I gave up on boiling them, it would just drive me nuts, so i went and bought a Milton steriliser, and now voila! crystal clean. Its really good I can sterilise anything in it (except metal) its really good for cleaning the house too smile

Thanks again
sterilise with milton then they will sparkle

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic