Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

low weight gain Rss

Ok heres my problem.
My little girl has a heart condition and is going through various stages of repair surgery.
She has always been on the lowest 10%ile on the weight charts.
She was exclusivle y breastfeed until about 2weeks ago when health nurse told me to supp her with some solids because she was not gaining enough..
She is not real keen on them but will take a spoon otr two in the afternoons after a BF.
But she still hasnt gained any extra weight.
Now they are telling me to put her on formula. My cariologist is also concerned with the weight gain but is more keen for me to give bottles of EBM only because it is a way of measuring how mush she is actually drinking over a 24hr period.
Problem is she wont take dummies, or bottles or anything in her mouth, teethers etc. In hosp she had to be nasal gastic tube down her nose cause she wouldnt take a bottle after surgery..
I really love the bfeeding.
I have plenty of milk. My aba group is of course telling me to persevere if i want to but im under real pressure to switch to formula from gp and health nurses.
Sorry for long post but im really stuck with what to do...

Ok heres my problem.
My little girl has a heart condition and is going through various stages of repair surgery.
She has always been on the lowest 10%ile on the weight charts.
She was exclusivle y breastfeed until about 2weeks ago when health nurse told me to supp her with some solids because she was not gaining enough..
She is not real keen on them but will take a spoon otr two in the afternoons after a BF.
But she still hasnt gained any extra weight.
Now they are telling me to put her on formula. My cariologist is also concerned with the weight gain but is more keen for me to give bottles of EBM only because it is a way of measuring how mush she is actually drinking over a 24hr period.
Problem is she wont take dummies, or bottles or anything in her mouth, teethers etc. In hosp she had to be nasal gastic tube down her nose cause she wouldnt take a bottle after surgery..
I really love the bfeeding.
I have plenty of milk. My aba group is of course telling me to persevere if i want to but im under real pressure to switch to formula from gp and health nurses.
Sorry for long post but im really stuck with what to do...

just to add she is 20 wks old and weighs 5.5kg (12lb 2oz)

She sounds a very similar size to my DD2 who was 5.9kg at 5 and a half months and she also won't take a bottle or a dummy or anything except a breast. I am having success with the solids though, she's been on solids for about 5 weeks and going well, she is 6 months old now.
Have they actually told you how you are supposed to get her on formula if she won't take a bottle?
Can you be there to give her a breastfeed after surgery? I hope that is not a stupid question:-(
I think you need to forget about the pressure and do what your heart tells you is the right thing to do, if you love the breastfeeding and don't want to put her on formula then don't do it, it sounds like she may just be a petite girl like my DD2 is and nothing you do will change that.
Remember you are the mum and you don't want to get pressured into something you may regret later x

You poor thing. I don't know lots about heart conditions in bubs, but yes they seem to lose weight easily. My dd2 hasn't had a bottle at all unless you count some ebm out of avent bottle minus the teat. I started her on a cup from 4 months as well as still bf. I did the same with dd1. Most breastfed babies will/can drink out of a normal cup with help of course. I believe the drink is to have only small amounts at a time, and be prepared for spills. I would keep up the bfs as much has possible, and maybe get the dad or someone to have a go with the cup.

Also with the solids, maybe you can make it using fm or ebm to get the calories in. And don't stress if she is slow with them , it took until 6 months for dd2 to have 3 meals and she loves solids. She just didn't need to much yet. Good luck
perseverence is the key I think, perhaps keep trying with the dummies until she takes them (make it a game of sorts) and then the transition to the bottle should be easier? Without the health probs, I would say go with what you think is best, but considering them, I would try everything I could to follow what the cardiologist suggests.

She sounds a very similar size to my DD2 who was 5.9kg at 5 and a half months and she also won't take a bottle or a dummy or anything except a breast. I am having success with the solids though, she's been on solids for about 5 weeks and going well, she is 6 months old now.
Have they actually told you how you are supposed to get her on formula if she won't take a bottle?
Can you be there to give her a breastfeed after surgery? I hope that is not a stupid question:-(
I think you need to forget about the pressure and do what your heart tells you is the right thing to do, if you love the breastfeeding and don't want to put her on formula then don't do it, it sounds like she may just be a petite girl like my DD2 is and nothing you do will change that.
Remember you are the mum and you don't want to get pressured into something you may regret later x

Bubs come our ofsurgery with a nasal gastric tube in for feeds for few days cause they cant be held because of the open heart surgery. But ebm can be given as early as 6 hrs post op, formula cant be given until 24 hrs post op because it takes so much more work for the body to digest it so these bub get a little more grisly cause they are hungry as well as sore.

Sign in to follow this topic