Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

COLIC AND BREASTFEEDING Lock Rss

Hi I really want to know what are the foods that you definitely know give your baby colic (wind)through breastfeeding?

I have just had my 12 week old in screaming pain from wind and I'm positive its something that I have consumed.

I assume that if it effects me greatly (excessive flatulence) then it will effect my 12wo.

I have eaten so much over this w/end with my mother-in-law cooking I can't figure out what it is.

So I can rule out onions/garlic b/c I already know what they do. I'm thinking tomatoes???

Could someone give me some ideas b/c I feel so guilty passing on this pain to my innocent little daughter?
Hi Kylie,

It has been shown in studies that garlic & vanilla actually makes a baby suck stronger and better when breastfed. So it's def not the garlic.

I have heard caffeine is bad for bubs as it is harder for them to digest and stays in their system longer. Also spicy foods, or a lot of sugar (ie chocolates and soft drinks) can effect bubs in a bad way.

Everything is moderation is ok. Have u thought about trying a colic mixture if he has it all the time?? I use Marina Infant Mixture (from the chemist around $12) and it works wonders on my daughter and brings up all the wind from her tummy. She sleeps a tonne better and she is also similar age at 14weeks old.

Hope this helps. Take care and good luck!

DD#1 - 3.7yrs, DD#2 -20mnths, DD#3 is here! 21.08.

Hi Kylie I know you arent postal eat curry, sweet chilli, cabbage and coffee and definely no Mac Donalds cause that definley doesnt help the poor little bubs.

Its hard to know what you can eat as well and I ask my GP and read all of books to find out what I could and not.

Chat soon.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

I am hearing you Kyliewylie - its a horrible feeling. My DD had colic quite bad and we were constantly told its normal, she will grow out of it. Later on, we found out that she reacts to green veggies. Once we figured that out, the colic basically stopped.

Tomatos have lots and lots of chemicals in them, so it could well be effecting your bubs. The chemicals are natural, I don't mean like added stuff - just that the natural ones can cause reactions (so I've learnt - lol).

I think to start with cut out the commonly known colic causers - any food that causes you gas basically. See how bubs goes after a week or so like that. Hopefully the colic will settle down. If so, introduce one food (in moderation) back into your diet and see how it goes. That might help you narrow down what might effect your bubs (handy for preparing for solids too).

I find any-thing in excess will disturb DD to a degree, like my afternoon binge on liquorice the other week.

Best of luck Kylie - I hope it all settles down soon.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Sign in to follow this topic