Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Falls asleep on the breast while feeding

Falls asleep on the breast while feeding Lock Rss

My little girl is 3 .5 weeks old and falls asleep on the breast whilst I am feeding her generally at night and I can't wake her up to continue the feed. I have tried a wet face washer on her face, feet etc. I have tried to unwrap her, but nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions??
Hi,
a few questions,
How much has she had before she goes to sleep?
How often is she feeding?
How full are her naps?
How long does she sleep for?
Does she have Jaundice?
I can only tell you what I was doing at that stage, hope some of it will be useful!
I used to feed my DS every 3 to 4 hours, religously, I never let him go over 4 hours. Also for the first 2/3 weeks he only managed 1 breast per feed, so I used to write down which one he had and alternate.
He got used to this routine and used to wake every 3.5 hours on the dot for his feed. This was very handy when I was out and about, mad it easy to plan the day etc.
If you are worried that she isn't getting what she needs you could write down time of every feed, whether she had both or just 1 breast and for how long, also what the nappy was like.
If you do this for 48 hours you could then go over any concerns with your health visitor and work out a plan. Some babies love to just sleep for their first few weeks so try not to worry too much....sorry for waffling I think I am getting clucky again!!

Jen and 13mth Harvey

You've probably tried this too. DD use to get comforatable and nod off to sleep too. I'd wiggle my finger under her chin - it wouldn't wake her us such, but she'd start to feed again. Obviously she must totally love cuddling into you at feed time !

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi when my daughter was first born and even now she would fall asleep half way though her feed and stay asleep for the whole night and wouldnt wake up til 5.30 in the morning.

Does your daughter sleep good at night after a feed? All I can say is just put your daughter into bed and when she wakes up just give her a night feed and your daughter could be a small eater and there is nothing wrong with that and my daughter is a small eater and she is happy and healthy little baby.

Good luck and I hope I have help you in a way.

Chat soon.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic