Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. How many breastfeeds a day is your 5mnth old having?

How many breastfeeds a day is your 5mnth old having? Lock Rss

Hi all,

Just wondering how many breastfeeds your 5mnth old is having per day. I know every baby is different, but was just wondering.

At the moment, Noah is feeding about every 4-5hrs. Sometimes more. I try to give him breakfeast and dinner as well. Some days he doesn't want both.

Also, I know they say to offer the breast first before offering meals until they are 6mnths. But was wondering whether or not anyone does the opposite yet?

Thanks!

Kirsty,Qld,2boys

Hi Kirsty!
Remembering back - lol! My DD was feeding roughly every 3 hours at that age, i didnt give solids then though so that might be why she fed more frequently.
I have read in many different books to offer breast first until whenever, i still give DD the breast first before breakfast and dinner - the way i see it, shes getting her multivitamins so if she doesnt want any veges later, doesnt matter.smile

jen, mum to sahra born 28.6.04

My little girl is 8 months now but I cant even remember how many feeds she had at that age, I always just fed her when she was hungry, I always forget what time I last fed her but it did feel like she was always feeding, like your bubs Emma refused her solids much of the time and I never fed either of my girls before their solids otherwise they just wouldnt eat it, I dont think it really matters just do what suits best for you and your bubs.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

Hi Kirsty

My DD is 6 months but at 5 months she was having about 5 b/f's a day. Now she is on solids she is having about 4 b/f's a day and two solid meals.
Over here they say to feed milk before solids until they are 8-9months. I'm not sure what is right. I think just do what suits you and baby.
Hi kk and all - I was just wondering the same thing, thanks for posting the question!!

My boy is 5&1/2mths and is having 6 breastfeeds in 24 hr period and 2 solid meals however also doesnt always want them...often he can take or leave breaky..I give BF first then solids, I think it is after 6/7mths can reverse but am not sure.

Harrison is feeding about 3.5-4hrly during the day and has at least one night feed (about 2-4ish) - I am finding that every night is different! He went through from 7.30-5.30 with a resettle (ssh.pat) at 12.30am the night before last, but last night was again resettled at 12.30am(last feed was 7.30pm), woke at 3.15am for feed and was again up at 5.30 - I know he can go for 6-8hr stretches but will not do it consistently, I dont know why?!!!

I am hoping when he is having more solids he will be more settled at night...

Have a good day all.....

SA mum, Lis 17/6/00 and Harry 19/6/05

Sign in to follow this topic