Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

breastfeeding not enough?? Lock Rss

Hi guys,
I have a nine month old baby girl and she is not breastfeeding properly as she is too distracted by noise, movement well anything really! im pretty sure that she is not getting much milk at all. i give her 2 bottles at night but thats the only good feeds that she gets and its formula and not breastmilk. i would love to continue breastfeeds in the day but im a bit worried that this won't be enough for her. She is having three solids a day as well so atleast thats something! Can anybody give advice??

christina - 3 darling children

My close friends babies started self weening from 9 months. She use to only give a morning and night feed - the rest was solids. It may be a long shot, but maybe your DD just doesn't want to BF any-more.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

I thinkl at 9 months distraction is inevitable. I would keep trying to BF if that is what you are really wanting to do, as long as there are enough wet nappies in a day I wouldn't be too concerned.

Amanda and Oscar (22 Feb 05)

Hi Christina

Distraction can be a big problem - at various ages - and I suppose if feeding in complete isolation from the noisy world does not suit [LOL] then other strategies may have to be tried!!

I am guessing that because you give the formula and the three solid feeds, maybe your BM supply is decreasing??? which may make DD a bit 'annoyed' at the breast [you know, milk not pouring out at her, like from the bottle!!] so making the b'feeding not SO interesting.
??? - all guess work here as you can see! tongue ]

Would it be an option at all, to reduce some of the formula feeds, just to see if you increase your supply, and perhaps her interest? And as milk is still their main source of nutrition until 12 months, maybe even a little less of the solids??

I totally understand that neither you OR DD may like either of these suggestions!! and that is OK! ... just a few thoughts I had when reading your post!

Good luck with it!

smile
Sign in to follow this topic