Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

best time of day to feed baby Rss

Hi everyone
Today I gave my 4 month old baby boy his first taste of rice cereal..he loved it and had about 2 teaspoons...would of had more but i think thats enough to start with.

Whens the best time to feed the baby?
Morning or Night? I thought maybe if i feed him at night it might assist him to sleep through!
Any ideas appreciated

thanks
Hi, apparently you should feed them when they are the in a happy mood so to make it an enjoyable experience for them. If he has never slept through the night, feeding him at night close to bedtime might not work as night waking is generally habit rather then need. But if he was sleeping through and has now started waking it may be possible it is hunger and you can try a few teaspoons of cerel at night until he is on more feeds during the day. I guess it is trial and error. My little 6 1/2 month has never slept through the night even though he is on 3 feeds a day and 4 bottles during the day - He still needs a 5ft bottle at 11pm every night.

Deena NZ New mum

When i put my baby on solids i did it at night before his bedtime bottle. He hadn't slept through before i did that and he slept through 13 hours the first night. i kept it up and he hasn't yet slept a night shorter than 11 hours and he is now 18months old. They recommend that if you start your baby on solids at four months then by five months they should be on two feeds a day and six months, three feeds a day and you can gradually increase the amount during that time or after. Anyway the night feed worked for me.
Hi,
Night feeds worked for me too. All 3 of my kids started solids (rice cereal) at 6-7weeks, and immediately started to sleep through the night. I decided to give them their solid meal at lunch time, just to see if they were sleeping because of the solid meal, and they woke up through the night (anything from 4-8 times), so I went back to giving the solid meal at night, and back to sleeping right through again. Hope this helps you make your decision.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Thanks for your replys ladies.
Thats exactly what i wanted to know....if I gave him his cereal in the morning would it still help him sleep through so I will now wait until night time to try.
He was only waking twice during the night for a while now he wakes about 4-5 times...at 4 months he weighs 9.3kg so he is a hungry baby!!!
Hi ladies,

I am a first time mum and am just about to start solids on my 5 month old baby boy. Should I try the rice cereal before a bottle, after a bottle or in between? This may sound really silly but I don't want to start introducing solids incorrectly. I have heard mixed views.

Thanks
Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi Sam,
Give him the solids after his bottle. If he is really ready for solids, he will still eat it after his bottle. Milk is still his main diet at the moment.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi Tracey,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will try it out tomorrow.

Regards,
Sam

Mum to toddler

Sign in to follow this topic