Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

When should i start solids? Rss

Hi everyone, i am new to this so please HELP?
I am a first time mum to a 3 and a half month old baby girl named Natasha. I am confused as i have been told not too start solids until 4 mths or even 6 mths because babies fed solid at early stages could develop kidney problems, have sore tummys, will be constipated...... and i have also been told to start solids by putting a biscuit in her formula. I have just started her on heinz baby rice cereal and have acctually given her more than one tea spoon at a time as she seemed to be ok with it, i also have tried a little bit of plasmo biscuit in her milk, but not both in one day. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Lidia.

Lidia, Vic, Baby Girl

Hi Lidia,
Doctors and health nurses will tell you not to start solids until at least 4-6 months. I started my 3 kids on solids at 6 weeks. Only rice cereal, until they were 4 months. I just started with one teaspoon mixed with breastmilk (or you can use formula), to make a very runny mixture. I gave this to them in the evening, and they started sleeping through the night immediately. They are now 10.5 years old, 8 years old, and 9 months old, and none of them have or have had any health problems. Others will say not to give solids at such an early age, but my mother-in-law was giving my husband rice cereal (by doctors orders) at 2 weeks of age, as he was drinking 150 mls formula every two hours. He needed more than milk to satisfy him. He has no health problems either. I wouldn't recommend giving her any form of solid food in her bottle though, as she needs to identify the difference in eating and drinking. As she is 3.5 months already, I can't see the harm in starting her on solids now. Good luck.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi Tracey,

It is so refreshing hearing from a mum who doesn't exactly "go by the book". I am a first time mum and really appreciate somebody thinking outside the square. I was attending a mother's group for a while but don't attend anymore because of the attitude that some of the health nurses and other mothers have.

I also think outside the square and think that every baby is different and we should follow what our babies tell us. There is really no right or wrong in what we do if it works for our babies.

You sound like a fantastic mum.

Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi Lidia,
I'm new to this too. My son just started rice cereal at 5mths on the advice of my health nurse. He loves it. His eating and swallowing motions are improving each morning. There are some indicators to watch out for such as licking the lips, grabbing the food or just observing. My son was just observing and I took a gamble. He responded positively. I also read that if your child doubles her / his birth weight, it's a good time to start. Go with your gut...but it is recommended to wait until at least 4 mths...Good luck.
Hi Lidia,

Start them when you feel you daughter is ready! I started both my children on solids at 3.5 months and they loved it! My son is now 3 years old and no health problems and my daughter, 4mths, is just thriving on them! If your bub wants solids then give it to her.

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Hiya,

I started my little girl on solids (Heinz baby Rice Cereal) 3 days ago now.. She's three and a half months old, and she desperately needed solid foods to satisfy her, as she drinks up to 300mls every two hours! (Bottle feeds).

I've only started her out on one meal a day, but she seems to love it, and doesn't scoff her whole bottle as much. She's only a little bub, was born quite tiny, so she's probably trying to catch up to other bubs her age, but I just felt she was drinking an obscene amount and not really getting anywhere from it. I did ask my Health Nurse for advice about a week ago, and was severely reprimanded for even considering giving her 'solids' before 6 months, but I decided that each baby is different, and since she's doing things different to what they expect her to anyway, then I shouldn't have to always stick the their rules..

If she seems happy, keep it up! I've never heard of it causing health problems, and it's probably an old wives tale anyway to try and scare you into doing things the way they are expected. I've already dealt with bad mooded Health Nurses when I put her on bottle feeds when she was 2 weeks old, as I didn't produce anywhere near enough breastmilk no matter what I tried, and I was frightened she was going to vanish into thin air if I didn't start feeding her soon! You just have to do what feels right for you.

Each kid is different, we can't all do it the same! smile

Hope it helps..

-Em.

Mum to Belle 10.10.03 & Max (Born & Died) 24.07.02

Hi to all,
Hope everyone's babies are eating and thriving well. It's nice to see people taking matters into their own hands and not starving their children until the so called "health" nurses say it is ok to start feeding them. How can you watch your child crying all day because they are hungry, and not feed them just because they haven't reached the "right age" yet. It's like telling yourself, that you can't eat because it's not Sunday yet. How does anyone expect the babies to thrive if you don't give them what they need. Congratulations to you all!!!!
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi all,

I'm not disagreeing with any of you, however I think that health professionals - actually I think its the World Health Organisation suggests 4-6 months (now six months) as it reduces the risk of allergies in later life.

Just wanted to add that. BTW I'll probably start DS2 on solids in a few weeks time smile

Melanie, Qld, Joshua J 18.04.02 & Jacob M 04.10.03

Hi Tracey, as you are experienced at this smile, being a mother of 3, when did you start giving solids to your children more than once a day, Natasha will be 4mths on the 2.2.04 and i am wondering if it will be ok to give her cereal in the morning and fruit at lunch and maybe vegies in the evening or will it be too much, can you please give me some advise, and also she never finishes the whole bottle she drinks on average about 100mls every 3 hrs sleeps at night straight for 6-8 hrs, rarely she will finish 150mls, is this an indication that she should be on solids or that she might not be ready for solids.

Thanks

Lidia, Vic, Baby Girl

Lidia, one of the babies in my Mother's group sounds like Natasha. He doesn't seem to really like milk and never drank much of either expressed breast milk or formula. He's been having solids sice 3 and 1/2 months and is going great. My daughter's the opposite, loves her milk and is only just slowly starting to accept solids now. The right time to start and increase amounts is when your baby is ready. Natasha will tell you if she doesn't want it. But don't increase amounts too fast, at her age milk is still very important and you don't want her to cut down on milk too quickly. Let her guide you and get help from your early childhood centre.

Good luck with it
Karen

Karen, mum to Gabrielle 1/9/03, #2 edd 24/8/05

Hi Lidia,
Give Natasha one solid meal per day for about 2 weeks just to make sure her body can cope with it ok before you introduce anymore. If she is fine with the cereal, you can start giving her cereal in the morning, then vegies in the evening or lunch. Fruit is ok too, but I would offer vegies first, or she will get used to the sweet tasting foods and not want the savory. Start by giving her 1 vegie at a time, then introducing a new one each week. Potatoes are good to start with, then pumpkin, carrots, peas etc. Feel free to email me if you like at traceyl01@hotmail.com
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

hi lidia,
i started both my kids on solids at 6-8 weeks. both were good size babies and neither had any problems. it helped them sleep better and were generally more content with a full tummy. if you feel she needs solids just give her a bit each day to see how she goes and make sure she doesn't get constipated. with my son the clinic nurse put me on to ' karicare food thickener'. i'm not sure if it still around but i found a spoon of baby cereal in a night bottle works just as good.
good luck

trudy,nsw,mum to kai 5 & chelsea 21 mths

Sign in to follow this topic