Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. i must have a phobia about daughter choking

i must have a phobia about daughter choking Rss

hi, this may sound strange, as i have 4 sons also......,i have a 8mth ol daughter, & have kept her on jars of baby food, i'd luv to make her our food, but i'm so scared she will choke, i'm so nervours when i feed her, i know it sounds odd, as i already have 4 sons, but my youngest is 7, so we left it 7 yrs to have aimee, & i've completly 4got how i went about it with them,.....plz cud sum1 give me sum advice, & also recipies.......thx........lorraine....mum to 4boyz & aimee(8mth)
Don't feel bad I was quite similar. There are some good recipes on this website under different age groups. I found trying these out built confidence because they are recommended for their particular age. My little man is 8 and a half months old and now eating chicken, beef and all sorts of veges. My husband bought me a fantastic Moulinex and it mashes everything perfectly. To start with, if you are nervous try putting a little formula / breast milk with the mix it makes it a lot smoother. Sebastian also gets jar food but only for dessert and breakfast. I make the rest. He loves the homemade food, much more so than the jar. Here's one recipe I found which will introduce them to meat. You can moulinex it as smooth as you like, and as she gets older do it less and less.
Recommended for 7 - 8 month olds

CHICKEN & VEGE BLEND
1 CUP WATER
1 CHICKEN BREAST, CUT IN CHUNKS (I USE ORGANIC)
QUARTER CUP RICE
3 WHOLE CARROTS, SLICED
250G GREEN BEANS, CUT UP

COMBINE ALL INGREDIENTS IN SAUCEPAN AND BRING TO THE BOIL
REDUCE HEAT & SIMMER FOR ABOUT 30 MINS, UNTIL CHICKEN IS COOKED AND VEGES ARE SOFT
ALLOW TO COOL
MOULINEX / BLEND ALL INGREDIENTS UNTIL DESIRED CONSISTENCY

I sometimes put more veges in such as pumpkin (sebs fav), sweet pot, potato etc. You can double the ingredients and freeze in portion sizes too.

If you use your search engine on the internet and type in 'baby recipes' you will be surprised how many you find. That's how I found mine. Hope this helps, hang in there.
Nic

Nicole, Queensland, almost 3 yo boy - Sebastian

I have the same fear with my 7 month girl. I feed her a combination of jars and my own. All I do is puree with a blender to get the same result as the jar varieties. My daughter has just disovered she can chew small lumps and loves it. I mostly mash her food now rather than blend. I read somewhere that for bubs 6-9 months the finger food or food you provide should be smaller than a pea or larger than a large paperclip to prevent them choking - also has to be soft food or well cooked.

Rachel, 20mth girl + 1 on the way

This sounds exactley like me up until a few weeks ago. I know its a natural progression to move onto lumpier foods but you become afraid that they wont be able to chew food properly.

I tried mushy finger foods like ripe banana, pears and peaches. My 8mnth son tried mince with his vegies and he loves it. Just a few teaspoons to start with cooked in a pan. I've also taken to mashing foods that can be mashed instead of blending them.

It's all a learning experience.
Have fun.
Jiffa

mum of 2

Sign in to follow this topic