Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Making jelly for baby Rss

I have a 9 year old and a 5 month old and I used to make jelly for my first baby using fruit juice and water and gelatine but I can't remember from what age. I want to start making it for my second, but does anyone know if gelatine is safe to use with babies? I have given him a jar of fruit gel (which he loved) and noticed that they use xanthan gum as a thickener. Has anyone used that, where do you buy it and how do you use it?
Gelatine is fine for babies. I make it up for my daughter and i got the recipe from a book especially for babies so it must be okay! as for the xanthan thickener, I have no idea. Sorry!
hi well i have a book that is a cooking book for babies and toddlers it is really great and it has how to make the jelly with the gelatine all you do is.

2 cups fruit juice
3 teaspoons of powdered gelatine

place 1/4 cup of the juice in a cup sprinkle gelatine over the juice stand the cup in a small pan of simmering water and stir until the gelatine is dissolved then stir the gelatine mixture into the remaining juice in a bowl and then refrigerate till firm.
anyway hope that helps goodluck bye
Hi Amanda,
I think I have the same recipe as Nat and it states that it is suitable from 6 months. Its the Womens Weekly Parenting guide so if books are anything to go by. I'm not sure about the thickener you mentioned but it is probably a commercial thickener. enjoy your jelly

Fiona, NSW

Thanks for that, I have a 10 year old and a 5 month old and I was wondering the same thing.

Erin,W.A. kids 12,5,2 and 1

I use regular Gelatine too for jelly for my babies - I've never heard of the xanthan gum, but there is a natural gelatine you can buy in health food stores and asian grocery shops called 'Agar Agar' - it's a natural gelatine that doesn't require refrigeration to set. I have used both, but do find gelatine easiest. AS for recipes, I use 50ml juice with 50ml boiled water and 1 teaspoon gelatin - I don't bother heating it or anything, I just mix it and put it in small jelly cups in the fridge and it sets just fine. You can make more or less by multiplying the recipe. Someone also suggested using the juice left over from tinned fruits such as peaches, pears, etc, those that have no addedd sugar. It's very nice.

Hope htis helps
hi amanda, the xanthan gum can be bought from coles in the health food section. i notice u r from mackay as am i and all the coles stores around here stock it, well i hope that helps.
Sign in to follow this topic