Huggies Forum

white sauce receipe Lock Rss

Help - does anyone have a simple receipe for white sauce - I'm trying to 'jazz up' my son's (8mths) vegies etc and my attempts at this culinary feat have been less than impressive......
Very easy recipe that you can then add other things to:

1 tablespoon butter / marg
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 cup milk

Melt butter, add flour and cook for 4 minutes, stirring a lot. Add milk. You do need to stir it a fair bit at this point until it comes to the boil. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes (still stirring often) to make sure it doesn't taste of flour. It should be nice and thick. You can change the flavour by adding cheese, mustard, herbs etc.

Anyone who can't have dairy, the same recipe works with soy milk. But you might have to juggle the quantity of milk as some soys are thinner then others.

Cymantha, NSW, DD 20/12/2003

do what i do, but it in the gravox tin...just have to add boiling water and stir!!! LOL

hey gus887,

Well, my recipie is basically same as Cym, but it just says to cook the flour & butter for a minute stiring rather than four. Don't really know if it makes much difference.

I have found that if you use a whisk to mix in the milk, it's not so temperamental also, and I do it off the heat, otherwise I tend to muck it up.

Cym's right though, it's really easy and great to put other things in.

Good luck, smile
Cym

many thanks - i can know knock one up in minutes.

Thanks

Gus887
You could also try adding grated cheese to the veges
Hello there,

Hubby (a chef) was reading this post and had some tips... he says...

- Boil the milk first
- Then blend the flour and butter into a seperate saucepan
- Pour hot milk into butter/flour and whisk together.

This way it will thicken in less than a minute, with no lumps!!! Just add cheese. (For a really cheesy flavour mix tasty cheese with a little parmesan.)

Linda - mum to Riley 13.04.04 (#2 Due 29.12.05)

Hi Linda
gave this a try tonight - including the parmesan and wow - two thumbs up to hubby - you must be very lucky.

thanks

Dee
Glad you enjoyed it! I do consider myself very lucky, maybe I should hire hubby out?? lol! smile

Linda - mum to Riley 13.04.04 (#2 Due 29.12.05)

Sign in to follow this topic