Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Bottle refusal Rss

Help!!! My reflux baby of 15 weeks has suddenly decided that she will no longer drink her bottles. She has been bottle fed since she was 3 weeks of age. Now I am lucky to get 100mls into her. She shakes her head, gags, screams, whatever it takes not to drink her bottle. I am fighting with her every feed. Any experience???

Janette, NSW

Hi Janette,

Have you since solved your problem??? I too have a baby that is refusing her bottle. She is 9 weeks old and has been taking Zantac for the pass 3 days, it does not seem to be working. I know exactly how you feel, I am luckly to get 100mls into her as well. She shakes her head and screams as well, it is a fight to get her to drink.

Someone please HELP!!!!
Yes i to have the same problem, for a while there my daughter was drinking her bottle once she started zantac but now is refusing it again. I am at my wit ends. i have been using an eye dropper to get her to drink the milk.

Tania,SYD,13mth girl. tania_heather@yahoo.com.au

Tania,

The Zantac seems to have started to work now. My daughter is now 11 weeks old and she drinks around 750mls in 24hrs, I don't know if this is enough, how much does your baby drink? I too was at the stage of using an eye dropper to get her to drink.

Just a thought, what bottles are you using? I was using the Avent Bottles and after a suggestion by someone changed bottles, first I tried the Pur teats, she seemed to like these better than the Avent but still fussed around quite a bit. I now use the NUK Anti-Colic teats and she seems to like these the best.

Also, have you thought about going to a day stay? You can get a referral from your GP or your clinic to attend the day stay and there you can have qualified nurses observe feeds, etc. I am actually going to attend one of these if things don't improve. I don't know if you are in NSW or not but if you are, Karitane is where you go.

Please let me know how you go and I will let you know how I go, I am sure like me you are open to any suggestions.

Hang in there, things will improve!!!
Are all your babies on formulas? I'm currently breast feeding but as I about to return to work, I have been training my babies to take the bottles and he would only take about 60mls and then cry and shake his head. How can I make him take more, so that he can be contented till I come home. Any suggestions?
My baby is on formula.

I don't think there is way that you can make them take more (I wish there was). I think that they take what they need. The only thing that I can suggest is that when he starts to cry and shake his head put the bottle to the side for 10 minutes and then try again. If he cries and shakes his head put the bottle down for a further 10 minutes and wrap him up and try to give it to him again. If he still does not take the bottle don't try anymore and wait until the next feed. This has worked for me but does not work all the time.

Are you only bottle feeding now or breast feeding as well?

Does anyone else have anymore suggestions?

Goodluck!
Hi my name is Julie

I have a 7.5 month old who I am breastfeeding at the moment, my only problem is that I am trying to get her onto bottles but she refuses and shuts her lips tight so that I cannot get the teat into her month. I have tried several kind of teats and formulas but still no good. She is the same with breast milk in the bottle - won't drink. I was wondering what the zantac is and how it works, as I really need to try something new.

thanks
I wonder if there is a professional keeping an eye on this site that can answer our questions! Trouble feeding a baby is quite an issue.

My problem is a stubborn 4mth old that won't move from the breast to the bottle and throws similar tantrums as you've all said. With formula or fresh expressed milk.

Any teats in particular that anyone has had success with? I have tried Avent (newborn/1) and Tommee Tippee. Both failures!

I am trying to go back to work here!

2 boys, 2 1/2 yrs and 4mths

Its strange that I found this post tonight of all nights! My 4 month old son is a big drinker, he has 200mLs in a bottle, but in the last couple of days its a struggle to get him to drink it. He wiggles his head, kicks his feet, tries to wiggle out of my arms, and pushes the bottle out of his mouth so that he can talk! Should I just give up - or persist with the bottle? I know that he can drink that much - he has been for over a month? Is it because he is on solids now - he doesn't need a big bottle?

Marti, NSW, Baby Boy born on 17th July 2003

I have your exact problem, have tried every single bottle, teat, even a cup, medicine dropper - nothing seems to work! I would love to know if you have found a solution - I can't think of anything else to try, I have given up, resigned myself to the fact that there won't be any 'me' time in the near future!
Hi

My little girl is now 8 months old and I am still having the same problem although I have worked out that it is the formula she doesn't like as she will drink water and juice from a bottle which annoys me as I don't want to be feeding her anymore. I am going to try her on cows milk one day this week and see how that goes as I believe this is my last chance. She is eating her cereal with a little cows milk and has no problems but as soon as I put formula on it she spits the dummy. I hope that you can work it out as all children are different.

Good luck and let me know how it goes
Hi

I think I may have a solution to our problem. My health nurse suggested starting my daughter with 200mls of water and 1 scoop if formula and treat it like plain water. When you give your baby water use the diluated milk solution. Do this for 2 days then increase it to 2 scoops for 2 days, then 3 scoops and finally 4. I am currently on the 2nd day of 3 scoops and she is drinking the milk without a hassle, so hopefully I will only have a couple of days to go then can give her the bottle all the time. Of course the amount of water will depend on the age of your baby.

Good luck and let me know how it works out. It is worth it
Sign in to follow this topic