Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Hungry baby Rss

Our health nurse has suggested that I start my 9 week old son on runny farex, as he is a hungry baby. She told me when he was 3 weeks old that I would probably have to give him food early - but I wasn't expecting this early!! How do I go about this? She said to give it to him of an evening, and it might fill him up, and make him sleep longer. I thought maybe I should give him a bath, then a feed, then some farex? Is that right? Should he have his normal milk first?

Marti, NSW, Baby Boy born on 17th July 2003

Hi Marty,

I really hate to disagree with any health professional, but 9wks seems a bit too early. If you are still breastfeeding then i've always known that the closer to 6mths the better.

I know of many mothers though, that have started solids at 3mths, but 9wks is too soon in my books.

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Marti,
I was always told introduce solids from 4 months, maybe you should get a second opinion as 9 weeks seems too early.
If you do introduce rice cereal now make sure you give him his milk first, this is something that is done before every solid meal up until around 9 months of age, as his milk is the most important 'meal' at the moment.
Hope this helps.

Louise, Brisbane Qld. Mum to Ella and Luca

Hi Marti,
I understand the pain you are going through. My daughter was 10lb 11 1/2oz (4.86Kg) when born & I gave up breast feeding her at 6wks as I just couldn't satisfy her. I asked plenty of health care professionals about the quality of my milk (there was definitely quantity) & all said it shouldn't be a problem as I had a good diet but it just didn't satisfy her. From the day we brought her home she appeared to be starving & we started her on 50mL formula top-ups after every breastfeed. Right from the start we also gave her formula for the last feed of the day so we could get a better sleep. She's now on formula full time & it's wonderful as my hubby has taken over the night feed with her!!!
I started her on a teaspoon of Rice Cereal mixed with formula at 3mths (she was 8Kg) as she needed something extra after her morning feed. I'm not prepared to introduce any 'flavours' until 4+mths as I don't want her to develop allergies.
Best of luck,
Peta

Peta, NSW, mum of 2 gorgeous girls

Hi Again
I just thought that I would give an update. I decided to try my son with farex, but I just put a small amount ( smaller than a teaspoon) in his 8 pm bottle. It doesn't seem to have done alot though. He still wakes every 4 hours, and he cries when the bottle is finished, and it is time to be burped. I started bottle feeding him, as I am on medication for blood clots, and can't breast feed. I give him 150mLs, which is suggested for his age, but I really don't want to give him anymore, because the next step up is when they are 6 months old!!

Hi Marti,

The amounts on the tins are only a guide. Why not try him with a larger bottle, he may need it, and it would be better than farex for him!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

hi well i started my daughter on solids at 12 wks and now she is 21 wks and has 3 feeds a day and she loves it but just a suggestion just be careful with the farex cause it can cause wind and it can make them unsettled to so good luck
I have put his bottle up to 200 mLs, and he seems to be a little more contented - but still cries when the bottle is finished!! Little pig!!

Just a suggestion, I was told that the way to work out how much formula your baby needs each feed is to give them 150mls per kg each day. You do 150 x the weight of your baby (this gives you their quota for the entire day) and then divide it by the number of feeds that they usually have.
Good Luck

Janette, NSW

Sign in to follow this topic