Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. We have started solids, now what?

We have started solids, now what? Lock Rss

Hi everyone.

I have started my daughter on solids and the health nurse encouraged me to give her at least 3 'meals' a day along with her bottle to give her the taste and texture experiences.

I've been doing that but she is really digging into the food and not drinking much from her bottles of formula at all.

She will drink water so I have given her some water during the day also to keep her hydrated and try ward off constipation but is it going to be too much for her body to cope with or should I just let her go for it?

Take care,
Christy.

Are you giving the bottles first? How long have you been giving solids for my son was on solids for about 8 weeks before he started on 3 meals a day.

there is an awesome book called baby and toddler food by robin barker I found it SOOOOOO helpful

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

you never actually put how many bottles she was having before and how many she is having now..
my daughter has 3 170g jars of food and 4-5bottles, I will be cutting another bottle out soon and giving her juice of some sort as she won't drink water..
If you start having problems with constipation then fruit is pretty good, even tho my daughter still drinks a fair bit she does have hardish poos, so I feed her apples and other mushed fruit..

Mel, Mummy to Krysta 07-04-04 and Chloe 10-11-06

Hi Christy

I too am Kristy (different spelling)

My bubba is nearly 7 months and has been on solids since he was 4 months old.

During rhe last three weeks he has gone through a stage where he was really not interested in his bottles. Even though some books say you should give them solids first and then the bottle this wasn't working for us. This is what our family health nurse suggested:
1. Give the bottle before solids
2. Try and cut baby down from 4 bottles to 3
3. Go up the next teat size on the bottles. We were already at the fastest flow so the nurse suggested heating up a needle and putting extra holes in the teats
4. Give foods such as yoghurt at least once a day as the baby will get fluid from this as well as calcium etc.

This seems to work with our little boy who is now on three bottles any anything from 3 to 5 meals a day.

Kristy, NSW, Mum to Jai 7-4-04 and Zakk 25-5-08

Sign in to follow this topic