Huggies Forum

6 mth old won't eat rice cereal Lock Rss

Hi,

I am trying to start my 6mth old on cereal but he won't eat it. I have tried putting fruit in it and also mixing it with water other than breast milk. He is still on 5 breast feeds a day and wants to keep it that way. The one thing that he seems to like is the jared yogurts but all the info I have read suggests that he must have rice cereal. Any suggestions on how I can get him to eat it.

Hi, I know that they tell you to give your bub at this stage (beginning solids) milk first, food after... but maybe you could try it the opposite.
When you know he is due for a feed give him some say 20 mins before and see how that goes.
Thats just an idea though. Maybe do this at first just for him to get the taste for it.. And maybe even really watered down at first so its not so difficult to swallow.
Hope this helps.

Mum to Jai and Chase!

Just because he is 6 mths doesn't mean he needs food other than milk if he is happy without it don't force it. also he doesn't have to start on RC try pumpkin or carrot??? or stick with the yougurty stuff he does like
steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi

I have asked about starting my daughter on solids she is now 5 months old. And the nurse gave me an article she had written on food allergies.

It says - Intorduce solids slowly beginning with low allergen foods first such as rice products, pear, apple, potato, zucchini, chicken and lamb.

The reason given was the immaturity of their digestive tract and immune system.

My daughter is down to 5 feeds a day and the nurse suggested i try to get her back to 6 feeds a day before introducing solids because 2 teaspoons of solids doesn't compare to a feed of breastmilk or formula.

So i assume the reason rice cereal is recommended so much is because it is the least likely food a baby will have a reaction to. But if you can't get him to eat that there are other low allergy foods you can give a try.

Cassie,NSW, Blair 27/9/01, Mackenzie 19/5/04

My 6 Month old absolutly hates rice cereal after a few attempts i gave it up and he now eats almost everything (he started solids at 3.5 months due to docs advice) don't push your little one. My baby health nurse and doc told me the reason why you should start with rice cereal is not only due to the fact of allergies but it is also the closest to the taste of formula or breast milk which ever you combine it with, therefore will have less of a reason to refuse it.
Try the pear and banana rice cereal in the farex range as your bubs may like this one. There is no set rules to feeding it's all trial and error. They do say however to stick to the same food for a few days to see if there is any allergy. Give this a go and tell us how it all went.
If your lil one likes the yoghurts them stick to them and slowly introduce custards.
You will get there in the end and learn your babies likes and dislikes.
Good luck

Aleks, SA, 5yr old girl, 9yr old boy&bubs 10.4.04

Hi All,

Thankyou for your replies.

He is now refusing the yogurt now so I think I will give the solids a rest for another couple of weeks. He is having 5 breastfeeds a day and is thriving on this alone. he weighs 8.5kg so delaying solids a while longer shouldn't hurt. Does anyone have any ideas on the latest that you should start solids??? Is there a specific time frame?

my MCHN said after 9 mths they need the iron from food so you still have a while yet

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Sign in to follow this topic