Huggies Forum

Giving 5mth old water Lock Rss

HI

I am just wondering if anyone could let me know when to give my 5mth old boiled water?

Teena, Qld, 5mth baby

Hi Teena

I think you could start giving it now, especially being in QLD and the heat, so they dont get dehydrated. Try, might not even drink it.

Julie, mum to Abby 05/02/04 & Joel 12/04/07

hi

i have been giving my 5 month girl boiled water since she was born. they dont tend to take it much, but i think it is a good habit to try and get them into, especially with summer on the way.

some days she will have a few sucks, other days she will push it out of her mouth.

good luck, i would try asap.

Nicki''s Mum, NSW

My little man is 5 months tomorrow and he has been refusing his bottles this past week therefore I gave hom some cooled boiled water to keep him hydrated and he was fine.

He had a few sucks one bottle then half a bottle another but I left it up to him what he wanted to drink.
Hi there,
Im currently bottle feeding my son with formula and its hard to make him drink out of that.But anyway I have tried to give him water from 6weeks but he doesnt seem to like the taste of it.Ive also tried to give him diluted apple juice or Ribena which he will sometimes drink.All I say is that to try with the hot weather coming up.Is he bottle feed or breast feed?With breastmilk the milk adapts so he doesnt really need to drink the water.With the formula I know that if you dont mix it right it can make the baby dehydrated.Good luck and keep trying!

KL,NSW,son born 22/3/04

Hi there,

I started giving me daughter water at 3mths as I am in QLD as well. I was advised by a clinic nurse that you do not really need to give them water at this age as long as they have a wet mouth and regular wet nappies. I still gave her cooled boiled water by a little bit at a time increasing this each time. She will now drink 125mls of water and loves it.
My son never liked water, up untill I started giving it to him out of my glass than I tried it in a cup for him and he now loves it. I started trying him on it at 3 months and he is now 9 1/2 months old and only been drinking it for a month. Just kept trying!! He now drinks it anyway in his bottle or cup!! In the heat they do need something between bottles even a little diluted juice (to start I put 20ml juice 100 water and went up to make sure there was no reaction orange and ribena) will be ok I have been giving that to my son since he was about 4-5 months. Aslong as the water you use is boiled I think it would be great to start trying!! As you can see with mine it might take some geting use to!

Mummy to 3 Boys

Sign in to follow this topic