Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Looking at starting on Ceral, and I am completely Lost....

Looking at starting on Ceral, and I am completely Lost.... Lock Rss

I have a 3 1/2 month boy, who lately doesn't seem to be completely satsfied with bottle feeds. He's also watches very intently at anyone who eats aound him, as if he wans to give it a go. He is large for his age so i was looking at starting him on a little rice ceral once a day to start with.
i'm new at this though, and I'm completely lst at how to give it to him. I tried it the other night, mixing it in a bowl with some warmed formula, he normally has and tried feeding it to him via a small spoon. He jut seemed to get frustrated though and I nded up giving him a bottle like normal.
I made it like a paste exactly like the directions said, but i wondered wether it's easier to make it runny. Also I have read other posts where mums have put it in the bottles, can this be done, and is it better?

Any recommendations or hints?

Alicia - Baby Aaron (TAS)

Hey Alicia - your 3.5 month old sounds perfectly normal. I think its a really good thing he is analysing you all eating. I found with DD, by the time I started her on solids (6 months) that she already knew what to do.

To me, it sounds like your bubs is not ready for solids. If you are keen for him to have them, maybe give it a week and try again. Maybe next time, don't make the cereal into a paste as such, try and make it just a little thicker than his formula.

I have no experience with a 'large' bub (as such) but it does seem they develop quicker. I wanted to point that out as although it sounds like your bub isn't quite ready, he may well be - just needs a bit more practice before he decides to eat from a spoon.

Best of luck Alicia !

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi Alicia,

I know exactly where you are coming from. We started our DS on rice cereal at 3 1/2 months. He just stopped wanting his bottles & was more interested in what we were eating.

We stared with the rice cereal, but I made it more runny than the directions on the packet suggested. We did that for 5 days & then slowly introduced different veges & fruits, all homemade. In doing this he started having his bottles again.

We started on only 1 meal a day until he showed us he wasn't satisfied, then we added another meal.

DS will be 6 months next Thursday & is now having 3 meals a day & just in the last two days is also having a little snack at about afternoon tea time. He still only has 5 150ml bottles, which he has been having since about 2-3 months, but our baby nurse is happy with that. According to recommendations he should be having 4 200ml bottles, but considering that's only a 50ml difference a day & he's eating well & also drinking some water through the day, we are more than happy with him.

DS was born just over 3kgs, but when we had him weighed last month he was already over 8kgs, so for us it was the right thing to do.

If you'd like more help with solids & where to go after rice cereal, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Good luck!

Hi Alicia
My son was the same at 3.5 months old and nearly swallowed the spoon and all when we started him on rice cereal - he was that keen!
When we introduced solids to him we took our time,had a nice quite relaxed environment for him and I would also have a little bit to eat so he would get the idea that it was feed time.
When he first started rice cereal I made it runny for him and then slowly after a couple of weeks we introduced other foods to him
Good luck with it all as it is a whole new world that bubby is about to experience and the facial expressions that go with it are priceless!

Rachel, QLD mum of Zaki 21 months

Sign in to follow this topic