Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Lactose Intolerance Rss

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this and I would love any information on babies with Lactose Intolerance.
Anything on solids and when and if your babies ever grew out of this stage.
Thankyou all,

Candice,QLD, Four children

Hi Hayleys mummy,
You can buy special formula for lactose intolerant babies. It's a case of shopping around for what you are comfortable with and prices do vary greatly. Solids in relation to lactose intolerance? How old is your baby? Apparently babies do not grow out of it. My brother, sister and myself all suffered when we were babies, brother and sister worse. They went on to goat's milk and my brother virtually will not have milk in anything. Mind you I love it and I don't think it's killing me. The intolerance always stays with you, even as an adult. We just cope differently. Check with your doctor or health nurse or even someone at your chemist. They can all help to a certain degree. Also I believe you can buy food 'lactose free'.
Good luck.
Ange
My little girl was lactose intolerant and I gave her goat's milk for a while. She can now tolerate cow's milk which makes things a lot easier. I believe there is a new frozen baby food range out at Woolworths and it is lactose free. I think it is called Motherly. It might help for meal ideas anyway. Hope she grows out of it.

Tanya,QLD, 5yr, 3yr, 6mth

Hi
my son is 2 1/2 and has a dairy intolerance - cant have cows milk. The pedietrician recommended we dont give him goats milk either but he coped fine with that. We have also found he is sensitive to alot of artificial additives, preservatives and colourings.

With solids we found almost everything home made was safe. Rusks have a small percentage of milk - if this affects Haley, try baking bread in the oven until dry and crisp and using that.

Also, we had problems finding crackers for Daniel, He can tolerate very small amounts of milk and the only food we give it to him in are the rice crusketts - ther is 5% milk powder in it, but this does not seem to upset him regardless.

An alternative to cheese is soy cheese. I think it tastles revolting, but Daniel loves it and has crackers and cheese regularly.

As far as growing out of it ?? Who knows. All I know is we have adapted our eating around it and thank goodness he goes to bed early these days as we can now have ice-cream without trying to hide it from him!!

If you need meal ideas, let me know. Dont have many but have developed some basics
All the best

Louise, Vic, mum of Daniel almost 3yrs

my daughter is 11mths and is on infasoy formula as she is lactose intollerent, when we tried various formulas at three mths she reacted badly to the ones with lactose in them. Now since she was 9 mths we give her small amounts of dairy food such as cheese and butter and she has developed small patches of eczma but she doesnt react as badly as she used to, but we still give her soy formula

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

My daughter is now 2.5 years old and she is lactose intolerant, i started her much to my peads discust on soya milk when she was 6 months after she spend some time in the peadatric ward for turning blue and choking on mucus, once she was weaned of cows milk and on full soya she was a different child. she still has soya now but i have recently started giving her cows milk yogurt instead of soya and she as a little bit of cheese etc. I find her reaction to dairy is worse at night so therefore i dont allow her to have yougurt or cheese after about 4 pm as we will gernerally have a reaction to it and vomit. My daughter also get eczma this is also related to ashma maybe you should have your little girl checked for that too. I think the weather and the food combination effects the reaction with their skin.
Good luck
Kellie

Kellie QLD 2/12 and 5.5mths

Sign in to follow this topic