Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Scared to move onto the next solid stage....Help....

Scared to move onto the next solid stage....Help.... Lock Rss

My bubbas 8.5 months old now and started solids @ 7 months. My MCHN told me she should be eating little sandwiches etc by now, but I am really paranoid shes going to choke.
She has always gagged alot -its probably normal.
I know I'm being a bit silly but I live in a country area away from town so if something happens I would be in trouble.
I know I have to start giving her more than mash but how do I do it?
Any advice would be appreciated mums.

dd b. 31/07/05

Well I dont know about little sandwiches. My lil one is the same age, and toasted vegemite fingers is as close as I get to giving her a sandwich. I have tried Avacardo on bread but I have broken that up myself and fed it to her.

Gagging is normal, and actually a great reflex response. It shows that she can remove objects caught in her throat. Which is what we want. I would say, start her on toasted fingers, its great coz they can feed themselves. Also you might like to try over baked wedges, but make sure there are no hard crispy ends. Shannon makes a real mess getting all the potato out. Soft fruits like banana are great too, messy but great. You might like to try steamed vegie sticks too. Pumpkin is great to start with.

Good luck with the next step.

Missy

Nth Qld 2 year old Shannon

I think that is perfectly normal, to be scared about moving to the next stage. I was very hesitant too, and like most things, I had nothing to worry about. Gagging is a really good thing as it shows your bub can clear her own throat. My DD does it now for attention as I use to always make a bit of a fuss when she actually gagged for real. Cheeky little sod - lol.

Have you been shown the couple of procedures to clear a choking babies throat? It might be worth getting your GP or CHN to show you next time you visit. I did a baby first aid course and it gave me a lot of confidence to deal with choking, although, its never actually happened.

So do you give your baby any finger food yet? Just asking, as there is a few simple things you can do to build your confidence in your DD's ability. I didnt' want to blab on (like usual) if your already doing it.

Don't feel alone and don't feel pressured - its a huge step for you as a mummy.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

I know how you feel about moving to the next step I was like that with my daughter who is 10 months old and im not to sure about little sandwiches but I give Jaye some toast with honey or other stuff and she always gagges but less they can bring things up if they need to.

I give Jaye some fruit that I cut into small square but I hold it for her while she eats and sucks the juice out of the fruit and some meat to.

Chat soon and good luck.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic