Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

So scared he will choke Rss

I really want to start my son on finger foods but I am scared he will choke! With food on a spoon he seems to inhale it, as it goes down so quick! Will he chew it up properly? Please help me

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

My 9 month old son has a really sensitive gag reflex. I was really scared to start finger foods to. I started making his vegies a bit lumpier and that didn't work. I found that giving him finger food was heaps better as it didn't surprise him like lumps in his food. At first he did gag quite a lot but now he's heaps better, I only started giving him finger food about a month ago. Now he can eat a whole banana by himself - I hold it but he bites bits off and chews them up, it's so cute. I also found he can manage really ripe pieces of pear, and steamed broccoli - although the stalk still causes a few problems. Just try some really soft things like banana or really well cooked pasta, he might gag to start with but he will get used to it and start chewing. Hope this helps.

Jasmine
Hi,

I really know what you mean, my son is 9 months and the same! I have tried breaking up tiny bits of toast, which he loves, but after about 5 he gets all dry and ends up choking! When i say small pieces, i mean 3mm by 3mm!

I guess time will work for us,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

If your really concerned start of on soft things like pieces of toast, or break little bits off things like muffins etc and give it to him, as long as they are small pieces and something that goes soggy like bread there shouldn't be a problem. Just start of slow and see how things go.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jean, Qld, Ethan 14/8/03

Thanks for every ones replies. I tried him on banana but he prefered to mush it in his hand, I will try the suggestion of feeding it to him myself. He will eat bread, usually the crusts off my toast, as for anything else I will keep trying thanks for your replies

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

Sign in to follow this topic