Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Refuses veges no matter what I try!!

Refuses veges no matter what I try!! Lock Rss

Hi all,

Chelsea is 6 months old and I started her on solids about 3 weeks ago. She loves fruit and eagerly accepts it and will eat rice cereal if I mix it with fruit (bananas, mango, apple, pears). However, she will not eat veges, I've tried single veges, mixed veges, mixing it with formula, water, rice cereal, cheese or egg I've even tried dipping the veges in fruit first but she caught onto that quick smart!! I've use home cooked but I've even tried commercial to no avail - is there anything I haven't tried?!?!?!?

Any ideas? Or should I just leave it for a while longer? I just don't want her to get used to having only fruit and rice cereal.

Thanks!
I was warned when starting to feed solids that once they are happy with rice cereal to start them on veges as once they get a taste for sweet things it is very hard to 'convert them'.

I started solids with my baby boy when he was 4 months as he had pretty bad reflux and so the Paediatrician said to start them. My son is now 8 months old and will eat pretty much anything but absolutely adores veges. When he was sick he had to eat fruit gel as it was the only thing he could keep down. Once he was well he actually got excited when I was heating up the veges and actually was opening his mouth and going Ah Ah like a baby bird. It was hilarious.

Im not sure as all babies are different but if you leave it longer it may just get harder. Have you tried the milder veges first (eg. potato) mixed with fruit. What sort of veges have you tried as some prefer sweet potato and my girlfriends little girl loved avacado straight out of the skin just mushed, which may help lead to veges.

Hope this helps.

Kara, NSW

I started Gab on solids about a month ago and did a bad thing....I started her on the sweet stuff first.
Getting her to eat veges wasn't too hard though....I'd puree some pumpkin and kumara (sweet potato) together with potato and carrot and she gradually took that, and now I put less of the sweeter veg in, so its more savoury. My partners nana was saying that mashed potato with a bit of vegemite in it is good as they love the flavour.

Kirsten, NZ, Ella 02.10.1997, Gabrielle 20.06.2005

Sign in to follow this topic