Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. are there any alternatives to crying it out??

are there any alternatives to crying it out?? Rss

My name is Karen and I am a first time mum to Emily 41/2 months old. I am going insane. Emily goes down for her daytime naps after crying for 5 mins then only sleeps 40mins, I know that she needs to sleep an hour minimum to get her deep sleep but I can not resettle her, when she has had enough sleep ie in the morning, she wakes up playing and talking not crying and rubbing her eyes like in the day. Ive tried going in every fifteen mins not looking at her just patting,rocking ,ssshhhing( I almost hyperventilate ) but that just made her worse. I then tried only going in when her whinge cry turned into screaming, but she will keep crying. The longest she has gone is 11/2hours and still doesn't stop until I pick her up, it also feels like she is in bed all day long, but if she only takes small naps she is grumpy all day. She only lasts an up time of 11/2hours and then shes ready for sleep. At night she goes down awake and drifts off no problem, wakes at 1am for a feed then up at 7am. I just dont think I can cope with letting her cry it out, it doesnt seem to be working after weeks so I need someone out there with a miracle cure, PLEASE HELP!!!!

Karen,WA,Emily born 4th June

Hi Karen, all I can offer, as I had the same problem with my now 6 month old daughter, is a great video that you can get over the net called it's time to sleep (www.itstimetosleep.com) with the added bonus it's Australian and you can e-mail questions to them. It teaches you controlled comforting techniques. It says babies love consistancy and routine. eg. feed play sleep. The settling routine can take a 1-3 weeks, but the baby will soon learn what to do. It's all about being consistant, so they know what to expect. That includes doing the stratergies even in the middle of the night, which is the hardest. It also talks about babies sleep cycles and why they wake up 20 or 40 mins into a sleep. Bella now goes to bed as soon as she shows tied signs may, have a little cry and goes to sleep herself. She also can do this anywhere, which is great!! Hope this helps. Lucy
Have you started solids yet? My daughter, Ashley, was born on June 10 so she's about the same age as Emily. She was sleeping fine at night and very little during the day up till she was about 4 months old then she started waking every 2 - 3 hours at night and still not sleeping much during the day. I hadn't planned to introduce solids until about 6 months but thought it was worth a try. She didn't like it much at first and still doesn't like vegies much but she does sleep. She's back to waking sometime between 3 and 4:30 and then a about 7 but her day sleeps are a lot longer. I feel like I can get something done and she's a whole lot less cranky when she wakes up.

Erin,W.A. kids 12,5,2 and 1

Hi Karen,
I can completely understand where you are coming from as Ella was the same.
She has never been much of a day sleeper and would only catnap for half an hour at a time, even after we started on solids.
She would wake up after her nap tired and cranky, but even when I would nurse and rock her she wouldn't go back off to sleep.
Our child health nurse said that some babies just don't sleep much through the day and I came to the realization that Ella was one of those babies. Unfortunately you can't make them sleep if they don't want to and in my own trials with Ella leaving her to cry never worked.
Ella is now nearly 11 months and some days she will sleep an hour in the morning and the same in the afternoon, but that happens about twice a week!!
My advice - take a deep breath and go with the flow.

Louise, Brisbane Qld. Mum to Ella and Luca

oh my goodness have I been there! My baby was the worst sleeper ever and crying it out just wasn't something I was interested in. Finally, I foudn the Ferber method. It changed my life!!!
It is little bit of crying and it ended up being perfect for my daughter!
I wrote about it here http://neverlistless.blogspot.com/2012/10/tips-...
Sign in to follow this topic