Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 6 months and now wont sleep on her back

6 months and now wont sleep on her back Lock Rss

hi

my little girl who is now 6 months has gone from the most perfect sleeper at night to waking at any hour...

i know she is probably teething but she also doesnt seem to want to sleep on her back anymore. as much as i try to keep turning her back from her side, she keeps rolling (first time mum who is very paranoid!!) so she keeps waking herself, but i am also really worried she will end up on her tummy.

is it ok for bub to sleep on her side???

Nicki''s Mum, NSW

Hey Annette,

My little girl had really bad sleep problems that started when she was about 5 1/2 mnths. If you're interested, I can tell you about a book that we used that helped us to get it all sorted out.

Alynta also turns onto her tummy by herself. It's always seemed to me like she was more comfortable that way. I know they say you're not s'posed to do it, but I know heaps of Mum'swho let their bub's sleep on their tummies. Also, when I was a baby, they were teaching Mum's then to sleep their babies on their 'tummies' to prevent SIDS. Go figure.

Anyways, let me know if I can help.

Smiles! smile
From the moment my son could roll he slept on his side then on his stomach i tried rolling him back but 5 minutes later he would be on his stomach again. In the end i just made sure the blankets couldnt go over his head and that his face was clear so he could breath easily. Im a first time mum to and i was worried sick too my son is now 14 months and still sleeps on his tummy.
Hi,
My son started rolling over from his back to tummy at three months. One night when I went to check on him, I found him asleep on his stomach with his face flat on the mattress. Being a first time mum I freaked out and was too scared to see if he was breathing! The next day I went out and bought an Angelcare monitor which alarms if it doesn't detect any sound or movement. It is so sensitive it can detect baby breathing through the mattress. It was $200 but well worth the investment if it means you can also get some sleep without worrying. Lachlan still sleeps on his stomach and has never had any problems. I think if they are strong enough to lift their head it is fine!
Naomi

My babies are all grown up sad

My daughter has slept on her side and tummy from the moment she could roll over (at 5 weeks). I don't use blankets as these can go over her head, so I use the Gro-bag sleeping bags and they are the best thing ever. No worries about getting cold etc. and my daughter is such a wiggle bot that there is no way the covers would stay on. At 6 months I am assuming that she can lift her own head? If so there really isn't any reason for them not to sleep the way they feel most comfortable. Just make sure the mattress that you are using is a breathable one (most are these days) and enjoy the peace and quiet. The risk of SIDS drops dramaticaly at 6 months of age as well if this helps you at all.

Cymantha, NSW, DD 20/12/2003

Sign in to follow this topic