Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. No more than 15 minutes at a time

No more than 15 minutes at a time Lock Rss

I write on behalf of my sister who's boy is now 13 months of age. He use to be a reasonable sleeper but at 6 months of age was diagnosed with testicular cancer. Following surgery it was fortunate that he did not need treatment but he has to undergo regular weekly blood tests. Since the detection of his cancer he has been a terrible sleeper. It is not so much of a problem to get him to sleep but actually keeping him asleep. He has basically slept with my sister since his surgery but even will not sleep when he is in bed with her. He quite often wakes every 15-20 minutes in quite a hysterical state and requires either comforting or even a bottle to calm. He has been seen many doctors, naturopaths and even been to a sleep clinic. She has tried controlled crying which worked well for my 8 month old son but had no effect what so ever on my sisters child. Has anyone had a child which has experienced such traumatic surgery at a young age which may have affected their sleep. If so, how did you deal with it?

Mardi, SA

sorry that I don't have any advice, it sounds so awful for them both!....
I was wondering what advice your sister was given by the sleep clinic?...

Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Hi, I'm sorry I don't have much advice for you. My 3 1/2 month old sleeps for 20 mins and then screams, but he can be resettled with a dummy and a bit of controlled crying and then sleeps for about another 2 hours. What I was wondering though, if you don't mind me asking, how is a baby of 6 months diagnosed with testicular cancer? What would the symptons be? I thought only older men got this, what a wake up call your letter was. This sounds like it would have been a very difficult time for you and your sister and your families. My heart does go out to you. I hope someone else can give you an answer to your problem.

Anita, Qld, mum Isabella 4 & Elijah 7 months

Hey Mardi,

I'm so saddened to hear of your family's terrible ordeal.

I really don't know if it would help your sister or not, but she could possibly try a book called 'On Becoming Baby Wise'. It helped me alot and we had heaps of sleeping probs with our little girl. Of course I'm sure they don't even come close to the trauma your nephew has gone through.

Anyway, I just figured if I was in her situ, I'd be desparte to try anything. If you want more info please let me know.

Thinking of all of you.

Sign in to follow this topic