Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. HOT WEATHER EFFECTING BUBS SLEEP

HOT WEATHER EFFECTING BUBS SLEEP Lock Rss

HI, my son is 8 1/2 mths. At the moment the weather is terribly hot and during the day he is finding it really hard to go to sleep.
Has anyone else had this problem??? and how did you deal with it???
The problem is I can put a fan in his room (not blowing on him) but it doesn't help he just cries.
Also he uses a pillow so that makes it even hotter for him (he won't sleep without the pillow).
Poor baby!!!

Mum to Jai and Chase!

Hi new mum.

I have a 5 month old and he's finding it hard sleeping too..

We don't have A/C just a fan and I have it going in the main room. I have just been shutting all the doors, windows, blinds and having the fan going at least until the sun goes down then I opened up everywhere.
It means living like a mushroom but that's the only way I can keep my house cool.

Today I gave Luke a couple of cool baths, he wasn't real keen but it soon cooled him down.
I haven't been heating his bottles either, just enough to take the chill off the milk.

There is no answer but to try and keep the house as cool as possible to try and make them as comfortable as possible.

Sorry I couldn't be much help.

Take care
I'll never complain about winter again!

My Bub, Olivia really dislikes being hot. The last 3 nights she has woken up every hour. I'm so tired!

She's normally a pretty good night time sleeper but she seems to be waking up because she is hot. Thankfully it's usually just a matter of putting her dummy in her mouth and she goes back to sleep (for another hour anyway) but getting up to her every hour is just horrible. I just have to keep remembering that it's not her fault she's just hot and bothered.

We have an airconditioner in the lounge room and then close the doors to all the other rooms to keep the cool air in the lounge. About 2 hours before Olivia is due to go to bed at night I have been using a large pedestal fan to try to direct the cool air down the hallway and into her room to cool it down. I then also have a fan in her room which I ocscilate so that it's on her but not much.

Ideally we'd love to put a seperate aircon in her room but that just out of the question.

I wonder if she'll get used to the warmer nights or this will just go on till next winter?!?!

Mum to (Olivia 3 Feb 2004) & (Emily 26 Jan 2006)

Hi!
I'm having a problem with my bub sleeping during the day from being so hot and sticky. I'm not sure if I should have a fan in her room or not, any advice please?
Also what sort of clothing do I put on her, she won't settle until I strip her down to just singlet and nappy with a sheet over her. Is this ok?
Any help would be appreciated....

Jade, single mum to Brooke Louise, 20/05/04

Hi,

I have a little fan on in my bub's room. At first I had it pointing away from her but now I find she'll only sleep when it's hot if I have the fan oscillating (spelling??) so that it is also on her. She turns to her side and points her face towards the fan for the cooler air. I am careful to turn it off if the temperature starts to cool down so that she doesn't get a chill.

Some nights I have Olivia just in a nappy and PJ top because I prefer to have her arms covered in case it cools down during the night. On the really hot nights and during the day she goes to bed in just a nappy and vest sometimes just a nappy. She also prefers to be in less clothes but have a sheet covering her.

I try to keep her as cool as possible before going to bed. Once she's already hot and bothered that's it, she screams when I put her to bed.

Mum to (Olivia 3 Feb 2004) & (Emily 26 Jan 2006)

not sure how old your little one is,
but singlet and a nappy would be fine,
we sometimes put our boy in his cot in just a nappy too,

We also have a fan in his room too, not blowing directly on him, so you may want to try that,

we actually bought him an a/c (just a portable one) while the rest of us swelter, which we haved used in his room, during the really hot days,

Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Hi JD

If she is settling in just her singlet and nappy I'm sure she's fine - she'll let you know if she gets too cold. It's fine to use a fan in your baby's room - just make sure it's not blowing directly on her. All the best with this hot weather smile

Jasmine
HI Guys, this may sound odd, but my almost 11 th old ois sleeping heaps better in the warmer/hotter weather. She is now only waking once a night, and occasionally sleeps right through. I think that she is more comfy in her loose fitting jump suits, and is happy without being covered. I have a ceiling fan on, above her, until we go to bed , and then turn it off. I have also started to wean her, so I expected her top be waking more frequently.

Michelle
My bub finds it more comfortable to sleep just in her nappies...I'm sure she'd rather have them off too. She has a fan in her room which helps keep her cool. On really hot days I wet a muslin wrap with cool water, squeeze the excess water off and drape it over her body when she sleeps. And she seems to like it as it gets her sleeping through.
Also, sometimes I wet a washcloth and put it in the fridge for a minute or two. I use that to wipe her head or the back of her neck.

Hope that helps.

Gaby's mum, Sydney

Sign in to follow this topic