Huggies Forum

Sleepy Baby Lock Rss

Hi,
I have a 4 1/2 month old baby. She is presently a pretty good sleeper so I'm happy. I just have a quick question, I viewed the Baby Sleep Page and the recommended 'Up Time' for her age is 2-3 hours.....she struggles to stay awake for 1.5 hours most times, she starts to get grizzly so I put her down and she goes to sleep.....does she sleep too much? Should I try to be playing with her longer between feeds? I'm not complaining, just a query.

Thanks,

Mum & Baby Girl 31.05.04

my 4 month old is the same, and struggles to stay awake 1.5 hours....wonder if it is because they are very active?...
I have nothing to compare with??...
but my boy rolls around, handles toys, and is pretty punishing on his playmat, not to mention my playtimes with him...
I exhaust him with my singing!...smile

will be interesting to hear what others say...

Is your daughter very active when awake?...

I find being a Mum I worry about everything!..when he was very young it was he was getting little sleep, and now that he is getting too much!....

smile

Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Thanks for your feedback Helena, greatly appreciated. Yes my daughter is very active when awake doing quite similar things as your bub. She is constantly moving her legs & arms, jibbering away and smiling....I guess they may get tired quicker from this?
Your right about how we worry about things.....I'm trying to just go with what she wants now....I guess the good thing is they let us know when they are tired!
Hope you are enjoying motherhood, I never thought a baby could bring this much joy into our life!

Mum & Baby Girl 31.05.04

Hi, just thought I would add that my daughter is very similar to both of your babies.

Right from when we brought her home she has been a good sleeper, and I too worried that she may have been sleeping too much (although I never complained about it).

She is now 7 months old and still is only awake for 2 hours at a time. After 2 hours she becomes tired and cranky and needs a sleep. She does this from when she wakes up (around 7am) to when she goes to bed at night (around 7pm).

Tracy, SA, DD 15/3/04 & TTC #2

Hi,
I'd like to say that my baby girl who is nearly 1 has been similar with her activities between sleeps. I read every where that from 8 months they are up for 3-4 hours but the majority of the time my bubs won't last more than 2-2.5 hrs. In the morning after nights sleep she wants to go back to sleep after 1 & 1/2 hrs. Her longest stint between sleeps in from about 3 - 6.30. She is very active when she is up & is constantly eating ( although she is very dainty in appearances). I believe it is hard to pin a time for play as all babies are different & I also believe yes if you have an active baby then they wear themselves out a lot quicker.

danni,sa

Thanks Danni, now I'm not worried at all after reading your reply. As you said, each baby varies and I will just go with what suits my little girl.

I was like you though, reading in all books how she should be awake longer.....oh well, she must need her zzzzzz's..... a bit like her mum.

Mum & Baby Girl 31.05.04

Thanks Tracy!, I'm glad that "Learning Mum," started this thread! as I have been worrying a little bit about Liam sleeping too much!, but had hoped that it was just he was so active while awake, hard to tell when I don't have any other babies to compare too ..is your daughter very active when she is awake?...

Heléna
(sorry Learning Mum!...I have kind of taken over your thread!!!...smile...)

Liam Evan, 2

Hi Helena,

That is fine.....I'm new too all of this so I'm just thankful for the feedback I've been provided. This is a fantastic forum and I've learnt so many things on some topics that have been posted. Hope Liam is doing well.

smile

Cheers,

Mum & Baby Girl 31.05.04

Emma is quite active when she is awake, always playing, rolling, in her jolly jumper etc, so I figure she obviously wears herself out. Twice now I have caught her almost asleep in the Jolly Jumpoer (looked very cute), and thats after only being in there for about 15 mins lol.

I guess all babies are different and they're never going to match exactly to what the "books" say. As long as they are happy and healthy, and all the bubs in this post seem to be.

Also I keep telling myself Im glad she likes her sleep too much, rather than not liking it at all. No sleepless nights and spare time during the day to do the housework smile

Tracy, SA, DD 15/3/04 & TTC #2

Sign in to follow this topic