Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Getting rid of the dummy

Getting rid of the dummy Rss

Hi,

My 5 month old is still using her dummy to settle when she goes to bed. She has stopping wanting it at any other time, which is great. I think that might be because she is teething and everything else is going into her mouth instead.

I'd like to stop the dummy all together. She's waking me up at night because she needs it and I'm trying to follow a sleep routine that trains her to sleep 7-7, but the dummy has to go.

HAs anyone been effective in stopping the need for a dummy, how did you do it??

Many thanks

Kerryn, SA, baby girl 20/11/03

hi
well i think if shes just takin it at night then thats great cause it will be easier to get rid of later. my daughter is 5mths too and is like ur daughter i still let her have it when she sleeps.

but if u realy want to get rid of it just don't give it to her in about a couple of days to a couple of weeks she'll prob just forget about it.
in my opinion i think dummies are best cause u can throw them away but if they start sucking there thumb or finger u can't realy throw that away.

Salwa, 2 girls, sydney

Hi Kerryn

My son is 3 & 1/2 months and is doing the same thing. He only has his dummy to go to sleep but once he is asleep he generally spits and out and doesn't need it again which is good.

I'm not speaking from experience but if you really want to get rid of the dummy all together, my sister in-law (who has 3 children) says she prepares herself for 3 bad nights where she doesn't let the baby have the dummy and just uses controlled crying to get them to sleep. She says it only takes 3 bad nights then her babies have forgotten about the dummies and don't need them anymore to get to sleep. You could try that if you are ready for your baby to stop using the dummy.

Good luck ... let us know how you go. smile

Debs, NZ, Mum to Rory born 19/01/04

hi well my daughter is almost 12 mths old and she still uses a dummy to go to sleep and then spits it out when asleep anyway i have heard a couple of things you can try to get rid of the dummy you can cut the end off the dummy,or give you baby the smallest size dummy (but may not work for you cause your baby is only little and proberly still has a small dummy size) or the only other thing to do is to just throw it away good luck
Sign in to follow this topic