Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Suddenly won't go to sleep on own at night

Suddenly won't go to sleep on own at night Rss

I have an 11 month year old baby who has always been a wonderful sleeper at night. In fact, he started sleeping through the night at just 7 weeks. Previously we have been able to give him a feed between 7 pm and 8 pm, put him in his cot, with his musical fish playing and he would doze off on his own (no dummy etc needed). However the last two weeks he gets hysterical the minute we place him in his room, let alone his cot. We have tried controlled crying, but this seems to go on forever without him stopping. He sounds so hysterical when we leave him, I'm worried what the neighbours think we're doing to him. The only solution we've found is to put him in bed with us and let him fall asleep and then move him into his own room. My husband is not happy with this method - as some nights it's 11 or 12 o'clock before he's asleep. What's suddenly changed and what can I do? Any advice???

HF, NT, 10mth baby

Hi
Our child health nurse told us that most babies go through separation anxiety between 9-12 months, they start realising that they are a separate person to their mother. She said the best thing to do is reassure them that you are still there and not leaving them, apparently the more secure they feel now the more independant they'll be later. I don't know if this is what your son is experiencing, maybe have a chat to your child health nurse for some guidance. Hope this helps.

Jasmine
Hi

My 9mth old baby boy like yours, slept right through and soundly from 6-7 weeks old. Everyone told us how lucky we were.

Lately though he is like a completely different baby!!!!! It is SUCH a struggle to get him to sleep at night on his own. He is all over the cot, pulling on everything and piffing his dummy 20 thousand times. I am so scared he will hurt himself as occassionally we hear his head bumping in to the bars.

I dont let him cry as he starts to get louder and louder and we live in an inner city suburb so houses are pretty close together. So hubby and I just take turns in going in there and picking up his dummy, turning him around to face the wall and patting him but then he will just giggle.

What time do you initially put him in the cot ???

Ours goes down around 7:30pm as he is so tired but wakes up an hour later ready for fun and games.

Due to this "WE" do not get any quiet time, ever!!!

I know this hasnt helped but at least you know you are not alone ...:/

Best of Luck!

helena- vic- ds-3.5 dd- 1

Helen,

Thank you for your advice and for letting me know there is someone out their like us experiencing the same thing. I cracked up when you said you put him down at 7:30 only for him to wake an hour later. My boy does exactly that - and is as hyper as ever when you go to pick him up. Even when we put him in with us, he's kicking us and laughing and carrying on like a real little sod!

Thanks, its great to know we're not alone!!!

HF, NT, 10mth baby

Last night he ended up in our bed and he was like your little one, laughing and kicking and making funny noises at his dad, who had his back turned to him trying to sleep at 10:45pm .

Just think to yourself they are not this age forever and they grow so quickly the little munchkins.

You are definately not alone. smile

helena- vic- ds-3.5 dd- 1

Sign in to follow this topic