Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

found a solution Rss

Iwas having problems with my 4 mth old boy waking regularly throughout the night and only having small catnaps thru the day. After reading everything I could find and trying different things he is now sleeping 2 x 2hr and 1 x 1 hr thru the day and 7 to 7 with one feed at 4am.

What I did was start the day at 7am (even if it meant waking him) and giving him a bottle then I followed 2hrs up and 2 hrs down. At first he constantly woke after 40 minutes but i just spent a lot of time resettling him and eventually it worked. I even had trouble keeping him up for 2 hours so we went for lots of walks. After a couple of weeks he settled int this routine really well then the nights just seemed to get better. I know all babies are different I just thought this worked for me and maybe it would work for you.
Sounds worth a try - my 4 1/2 month old keeps waking through the night for a feed also. I work 24 hour shiftwork which makes routine difficult but I'll try my best.

Thanks for the info.
Take care

Wendy, 1st bub Connor b.26/Oct

I'm so pleased for you. Sleep at last!!!

It's great to hear someone having success, it gives all of us mums hope.

tired and feeling old

Hi Tina,
Sounds good, how long did it take?
I have been trying comfort settling with my 4 & 1/2 mth the past few days. Sometimes she goes to sleep without much fuss & other times it can take 1 hr to get her to sleep only to have her wake up in 30 minutes. I used to rock her to sleep and am now weening her off that.

danni,sa

just a question, if i dont get into a set routine will this lead to having a disorganised child when she gets older.???

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

I don't reckon not having a set routine as a baby affects you as a child. Once they hit 1 or 2 years of age then routine gets a little more important. I was raised around a lot of 'parties' and wouldn't sleep when we were out and I'm fine. My friend's father was in a band and she was raised 'on the scene' and it's done her no harm either. I think 'organisation' comes later and is a personal thing regardless of upbringing.

Anyway I hope so or else my poor boy has no hope! Ha.
Tina,

I agree with your solution, I have been using this routine with my baby girl since she was 8 wks old. She slept through from 10pm to 6am since 12wks, and from 6pm to 6am since 51/2 mths (after we started solids).

I am having to alter the routine during the day slightly as she wont sleep for the 2 x 2 hrs each day. I am happy as long as she gets at least 1 x 2 hrs and a couple of short (40min) naps.

Hope it continues to work for you.

Karyn, QLD, Mum to 6th Isabella

It so good to hear that I'm not the only one with a 4 month who wont sleep much during the day! I was thinking about starting the day at 7am, but wasnt quite sure if it was worth trying....but now that I heard that it can actually work, I will start. My 4 month old son, only sleeps 40 mins after every bottle during the day, tho he does sleep from 7pm- 5.30am at night right thru. Just one question, do you think I should give a bottle to him at 5.30am then try again at 7am? or see if he can go thru to 7am? I do need to do something as he is starting to get cranky during the day! I did speak to someone at the Tresillian centre, but they just said that some babies are just like that and werent much help.
Hi TinaH,

I am having exactly the same problem with my 4 month old!! I just have a question - when you say you spent a lot of time resettling him, how did you eventually get him back to sleep? I have tried the same thing, and he goes back to sleep (if I rock him!) but wakes as soon as put down. Would love to hear from you, I might have to try your technique too. I have just started him on solids on the advice of the health nurse, as she thought maybe that was why he wasn't settling - he's a big boy, just on 8kg already!! At this stage it hasn't worked (only two days though), but I might try it in conjunction with your technique and see what happens (would love to know your settling techniques though).

Thanks!!
Danielle.

Danielle, Vic, Mum of 3

Hi Danielle,

My boy is also 8kg and solids didn't really help much at settling him at night. It wasn't until I put this routine into place that it got better. As for settling him thru the day I did control crying which was really hard (i even occassionally cried myself) and sometimes I did give in and just let him up and sometimes I rocked him but like you he would wake as soon as I put him down. If he fell asleep in my arms and it was only 1/2 hoour or so till the next feed I just held him while sitting on the couch.

I have recently started back at work 3 days a week and he is going to day care and this has totally mucked up the routine so I am actually back to square one.

If you want to talk more my email address is kthowie70@optusnet.com.au
Sign in to follow this topic