Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. When does bubby start sleeping through?

When does bubby start sleeping through? Rss

Hello

I have a beautiful 4mth old, Connor, who currently has a couple of 2 hour naps during the day and goes to bed about 6.00 at night, but continues to wake after the 11.30 feed at 3am for a feed. I have a couple of times just put the dummy in at 3am and he has resettled and gone back to sleep till about 5.30am. Is it too early to expect him to sleep through after the late feed. He is still on 6 x 180ml bottles and getting him to finish these is a struggle sometimes as he has bad reflux (is now on medication though which helps!) I am trying to up them to the 240 ml gradually. Any advice on getting rid of the 3am feed would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Adrienne
Hi Adrienne,
I also have a 4 month old boy, who has just started sleeping through for about the last 2 weeks. Harrison would also wake up around 2.30am for a feed and sometimes only taking half a bottle.
I tried waking him up at 10 or 11 for a bottle but that never worked. I just started putting his dummy back in like you did, and it all started from there. He has his last bottle at about 9pm and i usually wake him up for that and then he sleeps through until 5 or 6am has a bottle and then goes back down until 8 or 9am. I make him up 200ml bottles and sometimes he drinks all of it but most times drinks about 180mls.
Also I really like the name Connor, but my husband didnt agree with me so Harrison was the only boys name we agreed on.
All the best
Tracy

Tracy NSW, 2 boys, 4 and 2

Hi,

My son joshua started sleeping through when he was about 6 weeks old. we got him into a routine very early. We would bath him give him his bottle and then put him to bed and then one night he just slept through from about 8 pm until 7 am and has been doing it ever since.

He doesn't really sleep during the day anymore though. I'd be lucky if he slept an hour during the day.

Larnie

Mummy to Joshie 15/07/03 & Hannah Lily 26/02/06

Oh my goodness - maybe it goes with the name. My 4 1/2 month old Connor is doing the same thing. He started sleeping through at the beginning of January which was lovely but since early Feb he has started waking through the night again - usually 3am or so. Through the day he has 180-240ml feeds with his last being about 8-9pm most of the time. We've tried doing the 11pm feed but he still seems to wake through the night for a smaller bottle. Any hints you find out I would love you to pass on to me please.

Take care

Wendy, 1st bub Connor b.26/Oct

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for the tips, will keep on persevering and hopefully will have some success!

Interestingly my second boys name choice was Harrison but my hubby wasn't keen on it....strange huh!

Take care

Adrienne
No i wish it was restricted to Connor's!

My 41/2 month old baby boy used to sleep through the night till he was about 31/2 months when he started waking up for feeds at about 1:00am then again at 5:00am.

Apparently (According to Books, Nurse and GP) it's because they have a growth spurt then and also because if breast feeding milk supply starts to decrease and is only made on stimulation.

They all tell me that he will slowly grow out of it before 6 months and to just persist. (Easier said then Done!)

So we just have to hand in there till our little darlings remember that mummies need their sleep to.

Baby Smiles

Kathy, QLD, Lucas 24/10/03

Hi Adrienne,Breanna is 7 months old and has been sleeping trough for about 2 months.We recent ly went to the riverton centre which is a sleep centre because I had a huge problem with getting her to sleep.While I was there they taught me so much about the sleeping patterns of baby's bascil if your little one is not on solaids then the still need to be feed diring the night.They said if Breanna did wake up before midnight then she could still have a bottle but if she woke up after that then I should try and put her back to sleep without a bottle.But every child is diffrent.And untill they are on solaids then they need the night time feed.

Leanne & Baby Breanna, Redland Bay

hi,
most babies will sleep through only when they are ready!! one thing i found though was at 6-7mths when my daughter started eating a good amount of solid food, she slept very contently but she had always slept through since the age of 5 weeks.
if i was you i wouldn't worry about making his feeds 240mls ever, many health professionals say that babies dont need that much milk, especially if he struggles to finish the amount you currently give him, my daughter always had 180mls in her bottle but only drank 150.
also alot of my mothers group friends would just put the dummy in at 3am and then feed the baby at 5:30 or whatever time it was that they got up but then put baby straight back to sleep. in my opinion, 5am is not the start of baby's day!!! dont get into the habit of getting up too early or it will never end!!!!
good luck!!

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

Thanks Leanne & Sarah for the advice. The last few days we have been trying to put Connor to bed later and later and have cut the night feeds down to one now! Usually around 1am and then again at 6.00am in the morning. And today we are starting on rice cereal so will see how that goes, maybe he will enjoy food better than his bottles, his little cousin was like that.

Thanks again, its good to hear other peoples experiences and know you are not alone...

Cheers

Adrienne
Hi Adrienne
When my bubs was nearly 3 months she would only sleep for at the most 5 hours in a row at night. It was suggested to me that perhaps she was too big for her bassinet and was waking herself up by hitting the sides with her hands. The same night I put her into her cot and haven't looked back - it worked right away - she is five months old now and sleeps 11 hours in a row at night. Occassionally she wakes up during the night and cries a little but most of the time I let her cry for a while and she goes back to sleep. If I go into the nursery to see why she is crying she becomes fully awake and the only thing that puts her back to sleep is a feed.
Hope this helps!

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Maya slept thru from 7 weeks because I had some good advice from the Plunket nurse to get her into a routine early. Around 6 1/2 mths she started waking again. Apparently this is when they begin to understand that if they cry someone will come. She is now one, and wakes periodically, but unless she is sick I don't feed her, I just check her nappy and offer her a drink of water without getting her out of the cot

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

I have a 3 month old and has been sleeping all night since 7 weeks, she use to also wake up at 3 but i just put the dummy in her mouth and i found after a week or so she just got use to not waking up for that feed and started waking up at 6 instead but now she wakes up about 8 in the morning

Shelley, NSW, Breanna 19/11/04, Lachlan 5/01/07

Sign in to follow this topic