Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Weaning Rss

Hi everyone. I am a teacher who needs to go back to work just one or two days a week. My son is 7 months old and each of us are enjoying a happy breastfeeding relationship. The problem is I don't know what to do about feeding him while I'm at work. My husband and mum will take care of him and give him his solids but what about milk? I have heard that babies of this age need at least 600 to 700mls a day so I don't want to substitute water. People have suggested expressing but I have just enough at each feed, not enough for extra. Plus I don't want to disrupt my supply for the other days of the week. Should I try formula just for the 2 -3 feeds that I'm away on those days?
The other thing is that he never took to a bottle so whatever he drinks will have to be from a cup while I'm not there. Anyone done this or can suggest anything? I feel quite confused and uneasy about returning to work.

Laura DS July 03, DD Oct 05, DD Nov 08

Hi Laura,
It is fine to give him formula on the days you are at work. You should be able to give him a bf in the morning, and then after you get home, so it would only be one, or two feed each day that you work. It shouldn't disrupt your supply, as you are only working a couple of days per week.

Instead of trying to give him a bottle, try him on the Heinze "firsts" cup. They have a smaller one from 4 months of age, but my son has been on the larger one (from 9 months & holds 280mls) since he was 6 months old and drinks out of it fine. They are non spill, so there is no worry about them tipping it over and spilling. They are priced around $8 for the smaller one, and $13 for the larger on (Qld prices) and are sold at Coles and Woolworths supermarkets. I highly recomend them. Good luck.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi Laura,
sorry i don't have any advice - but facing the exact same dilema as you. I will be working 3 nights a week and will miss the bed time breastfeed on those nights. So i am dreading returning to work as you do. I have until May (when i start back at work) but have no idea how to go about her feeds for those nights.
Hopefully someone can help us.

PS: i hope you don't mind me adding to your post smile

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Hi Tracey,
Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. Have you had to use formula after breast feeding?
If so, did you find it affected your babies bowel movements or general well- being?
Thanks for the cup recommendation, he does have a cup now but it doesn't work so well so I think I'll give the Heinz one a go.
Laura

Laura DS July 03, DD Oct 05, DD Nov 08

Hi Laura

A friend of mine is a teacher and went back to work 3 days a week while still breastfeeding her 4 month old. Although she was fortunate to have an abundant supply of milk which she was able to store in the freezer for later use, she still expressed whatever she could at work during her breaks to add to her "stockpile". I don't know if this would be an option for you. He shouldn't have any problem with formula for a couple of feeds - I'm still breastfeeding my 8 month old son and there were times when he was younger that I needed to give him formula and it took him a while to get used to a bottle. I have since found out that a lot of breastfed babies find a cup with a straw much easier than one with a spout.

All the best!
Jasmine
Hi Laura
my son is 6months going on 7 and i ahve had the exact problem, he has been fully breastfed and doesnt like a bottle, and like you I am very worried about going back to work?
goodluck i hope something works out.

reagans mum

Sign in to follow this topic