Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. baby wont sleep during the day

baby wont sleep during the day Rss

I have a 6 and a half month old that wont sleep much during the day.Its half an hour here or there.
Hi,

I have a 5 and a half month old who did the same a couple of weeks ago, now he's sleeping again during the day (2-3 hours). I just think they go through growth spurts and need more sleep when that happens. I find that if I go out shopping for a day he has a very good nights sleep that night, plus he sleeps well during the next day because he is so tired. I think you should just go by what your baby is telling you.

Hope that helps you.

Sam

Mum to toddler

my baby is 5 months old and she was such a good sleeper when she was a little baby. i now have the same problem. she only sleeps 1/2hr here and there during the day. but she sleeps through the night. so i figure that she is still catching up on her sleep, cause shes a happy baby during the day. i dont think really any thing you can do to make them sleep longer.

Leah and Zoe (2.10.2003)

I found this was & still sometimes happens with my 4 & 1/2 month baby girl. Jordan would sleep for about 20 minutes & then wake up. I have found if I pick her up & burp her & re-wrap then settle again she usually will sleep for about another hour. How long is your baby's play time in between. I keep Jordan up for around 2-2 & 1/2 hours during the day & she tends to sleep better & longer as she is really tired. Towards the end of the day she stays up for only just over an hour & then at night up until 9pm she is only briefly awake for a feed & then off to sleep again. It doesn't always work but does more times than not.

danni,sa

My baby is 6months old and has done the same thing for months.
This is my third child & I have tried everything.
It is a sleep pattern, where they have to learn to get hemselves back to sleep after the 1/2hr-40mins.
Wrapping with hands in somtimes helps (I use a cotton cot sheet or muslim) & sometimes if I rewrap & rock her back to sleep I may be lucky to get another hour sleep out of her on rare occassions. She will normally have about 4 naps a day of about 30-40mins. So I understand what you are going through, it is a constant battle - up & down all day. Someone suggested I try controlled crying, but I only want to do this as a last resort.
Sometimes she wakes & is happy to lie and play in her cot, so I leave her there for another 1/2hour. She needs to know I am not going to go in & pick her up straight away.
Hope this may help.

Ella,NSW,6mth baby

Hi everyone,

My son is almost 8 months(on the 15th of march) and he hardly sleeps during the day. I would be very lucky if he slept an hour during the day. He just loves to know everything that is happening around the house. I think he must be scared he is going to miss out on something. But i am lucky that he sleeps right through the night.

Larnie

Mummy to Joshie 15/07/03 & Hannah Lily 26/02/06

Hi all.
my 4mth daughter hardly sleeps during the day either.mostly shes slept for 12hrs without waking up at night.mostly she sleeps for 10hrs at night ,but she wont go down until atleast 11pm. and if she does slepp during the day its only for about 20mins.
a friend of mine went to a sleep clinic cause her bub wasnt sleeping during the day, and they told her to get her to sleep she had to try to make it like night time.(darken the room, quietness etc) they also told her to put a singlet over bubs eyes to take away any distractions and then once bub fell asleep to remove the singlet so theres no danger of bub tangling up. she said it took her about a week and now her bub has a regular sleep at 1pm everyday for 3hrs.. shes also set a pretty strict routine and she sticks to it like you wouldnt believe smile

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

my son is 8 months old and im having the same problems he used to sleep through the day buy not now

tina,n.s.w mum to 2 boys

I have the same problem my 4 month babygirl does not like sleeping in the day time ..
She is a great night time sleeper and every one tells me not to complain as she sleeps good at night.
I had a lady from the clinic come over to give me some pointers She watched my little one sleep and once she woke up even she couldnt get her back to sleep as she was fully a wake eyes wide open
i call her my 1/2 hour girl sometimes im trying for about an hour in getting her to sleep only to have her sleep 1/2 a hour .Overall the lady said that she is getting enough sleep .
On a good note a friend of mine with the same problem was told bya Docter that its better having a baby that wont sleep then onethat is constanlty sleeping he said they become more intelligent....
Sign in to follow this topic