Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Helping ME sleep Rss

Sometimes I find it very difficult for me to go to sleep. Even when very tired, I find when I have some spare time, (that is, when Hannah is asleep) I can't sleep, no matter how hard I try.

This problem has extended itself into the night, and I can't often sleep before about 1 in the morning.

I was just wondering if anyone had some nice natural things to help me sleep, whether it be some form of exercise, vitamin or whatever. I'm not looking for sleeping pills or anything like that - I still have to get up in the middle of the night!

Hannah (3 yrs) and Harry's (born 22/7) Mum! QLD

Hi Hannah'smum
I suffer the same thing, but most nights managed to get to sleep by 11pm, but often wake up around 1am and then am awake for ages.
My mum always suggested the following:
hot shower, warm milk and vegemite toast, get out of bed (my mistake I stay there) and read in the lounge room for awhile.
You could try some light exercise at night but atleast 2 hours before bedtime - this always use to work for me when I went to the gym at night.
I just think our body clocks change with having babies and it's hard to break the habit of bad sleeping.
Best of luck.

Louise, Brisbane Qld. Mum to Ella and Luca

Hi, I also have trouble sleeping. Usually after I have gotten up for the night feed. Chamomile tea helps, and works best if you drink it slowly for some reason. I also have a glass of milk if I feel a bit hungry when I get up. Hope this helps, it is nice to know I am not the only one lying awake half the night.

Danielle, 28, Vic, 1st son born 2/6/03

I have the same problems getting to sleep, I found it started towards the end of my pregnancy. I have found that I sleep better at night if I don't have a sleep during the day. Sometimes I'm really need a snooze and are dead dof tired, but I know if I can keep myself busy and not lay down, I tend to get off to sleep better that night.

Maybe give that a go.

Good Luck!!!

Regards Dayna

Mum to Aiden John (born - 1st September 2003)

Hi I have also had the same problem , but believe it or not SINCE my baby started sleep through the night these past 2 weeks....Some nights I am up till 4 am in the morn sad I will also try some of the things you ladies have suggested smile

Lisa SA mum to beautiful haley born 27/9/03

iam the same i usually go more than 12 hours without sleep and since i am back working a few days a week and getting up at 5am when i got to sleep usually at 2 or 3 aint to good. i bought valerian from the supermarket a friend from work told me about it its good stuff not expensive either its a natural pill. it worked for me

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Hi!

My baby is one month old and up untill a couple of days ago i would have been complainig about not geting ENOUGH sleep as Talana would wake up every hour for a feed (I was breastfeeding).
After realising why she was waking up so often (my milk supply was not enough for her) and changing to formula, she is a changed baby! Now she sleeps really wel and i find that it is me not geting any sleep!
I cant seem to stay asleep for more than 2 hours before i wake up and it is starting to frustrate me!

Hopefully my sleeping pattern will return to some sort of normalcy, if not it looks like Valerian for me too!

Mummy to Talana Michelle Kimberley (13/12/2003)

i just wanted to say, i have always had trouble falling to sleep, i can't shut my mind off, I lay there for hours on end trying to sleep but just can't, and then after i had my son it got worse. I tried camomile tea, sleeping tablets and warm milk etc but nothing worked. I then tried the Valerian, but the larger dose ones and it just seemed like although my mind was still active, i was asleep before i knew it and i was having a peaceful sleep too. The difference was if my son woke up in the night i didn't wake up feeling groggy like you do with sleeping tablets. I'd definitely recommend to give them a go, but not if you are pregnant as they have not been cleared as safe.
Sign in to follow this topic