Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

post natal depression Rss

sometimes is very hard to see when in denial you can hide symptons very well until its to late and noone picks up on them not even doctors . Mums should feel that they are no less of a mother or a "Good " mother if they do have PND also we all have to learn

Liby mum for my almost 1 yr old 14/1/03 ashleigh

Good Topic Libby. I have suffered PND for just on 2 years now. I still have good and bad days. I think it is something that needs to be wodely discussed as well.

Regards,
I agree that Post Natal Depression needs to be discussed more and more. Often people just say that the mother is sleep deprived and don't really see Post Natal Depression as a real illness. I am suffering with it right now. I have 3 boys, 3 years, 2years and now 10 weeks old.

I did not really suffer PND with the first, but had the 2nd 12 months and 3 days after and it hit me big time. and now with the 10 week old I got onto medication quickly as I did not want to head down the same path. I actually got really bad after my second and tried to commit suicide, my husband found me which I am grateful for now, otherwise I would not be here right now.

I sometimes wonder if there are triggers in life that bring a bad day on?

I know there is some research going on regarding PND at the moment, and I cannot wait to see the results.

If you think you have PND get it checked out straight away.
i never thought i would develop PND i was so happy and just wanted to go out and show of my beautiful bundle. i did think i was sleep deprived but now i know it was slowly building up to PND i thought it would hit straight away not 2 months later. i felt that people would look down at me and take my lil girl away and not worry about me. i have learnt now not to be scared that i might develop PND and repress all the feelings and stress but to cry and scream once in a while let it out,
and to see my doctor straight away cause even my doctor thought i was fine just extremly happy.

Liby mum for my almost 1 yr old 14/1/03 ashleigh

hi i was just wondering how do i know the difference between stress and pnd? i have a 4 year old son and a 3 month old daughter, after my son was born i felt fine, but this time its different i cry constantly i cant sleep anymore and im drinking alot i have broken up with my partner and he is gone for good so i am at a bit of a loss i am to embarrased to ask anyone for help. any advice would be great. thanx

mothere of 2

Sounds like you have a lot of stress going on. I would get in contact with a Dr or someone, even a Mental Health Association in your State, or even the main hospital where people have babies(Public). You need to be assessed because feeling this way is not good for you or your children and it can go on for a while.

I am no expert but please get in contact with someone. What State of Australia are you in, if you like I can find out who you can call. I see someone on a regular basis and am on an anti-depressant and it has just been increased as I have no energy, and this should help. Believe me don't let it get the better of you.
Hi Billi-jo, please don't suffer this in silence. I had PND after my first son was born and i suffered in silence for 4 months before my sister dragged me to see her doctor. Don't be embarrassed, we all need to stop feeling like a lesser of a mother because we are struggling with this disease. If you don't think you can talk to your doctor, early childhood nurses can help you, even your local hospital may have some help for you, call your Pre Natal Clinic and ask.
Please don't be embarrassed, no one will think any less of you, if you can't do it for you, do it for your little one's, they need you, you are there mum and they need you to be happy and healthy.
When i was struggling i didn't tell the world, i kept it to myself, only people you want to know need to be told, i only told my family and my best friend, but it helped knowing that there was someone to call on when i needed it.
I am now a mum for the second time, and so far so good, but i still have my moments.
If you would like to contact me my email address is aspbarwick@kooee.com.au. I am on line most days and i am very willing to talk/type with you and you never know we could become email friends. I understand where you are at the moment and i feel for you as it is a very hard thing to deal with.
Please feel better.
Sandie
Hi liby,

I have good days and bad days. I find most of my depression is directed at my husband. That is why I found it hard to come to terms with the fact that I was a sufferer. I find that I have shut down and can not talk to him. I get depressed and upset a simple little things like the house work and the fact that I have not got rid of those few extra kilos.

My husband is supportive although I don't think that he has realised that I am depressed. I am lucky in the fact that I have a large support network in the way of family and friends, although as you say you put on a brave face and they think you are coping really well, when infact you are crumbling inside and feel like you can't do it anymore.

I work out in the gym with my best friend (who is yet to start her family) twice a week, and that is my time out.

Having said all of the above I would also like to say that i am very gratful for my son(5mths) and thank god for my precious gift. I think the depression is worth the beautiful gift. Whenever I get really down I look at my son and he smiles back. That is an instant pick me up. If only for a little while.

Bec, TAS, 5mth baby boy

I have been diagnosed with Post natal depression and my husband is finding it so difficult coping with the way I act that he has decided to leave as it is too hard. Has this happened to anyone else and have you any solutions for trying to fix this sort of situation and trying to talk to a guy who won't listen? We have the most beautiful little girl and I would like her to be brought up with both her parents. I still love him and I don't know what to do! Any advice would be great
Hi Javba what a terrible time you must be having. Have you spoken to your Dr about this? Perhaps he could speak to your husband and explain things to him. Does your husband have a close friend he may listen to or perhaps a trusted family member. If he is a reader perhaps you could get a book or even pamphlets on this subject to try to get him to understand. Perhaps he is in shock and just needs time to deal with everything. I would bet this is probably a common problem with husbands not understanding. If your baby is seeing a health nurse for weigh ins ect perhaps she may be able to suggest a support group which may have some ideas. Sometimes men cope with things by digging their heads in the sand. If they dont accept it then its not happening. Perhaps he is a perfectionist and is having problems accepting things are not like they are in the movies and "perfect" for what ever that it. Even Elle Macpherson has put herself into a clinic for PND. I can understand you want both parents for your gorgeous girl but you have to look after yourself as well. You daughter needs you probably just as much as you need her right now. Just remember there is nothing wrong with you what you are suffering is as common as a head cold. We all need a help now and then. I hope it all works out for you. Good Luck.
I have seen a doctor about this and she has said that all I can really do at the moment is give him some space. My husband is of the mind that you don't air your dirty laundry. I have also asked him to go and see a counsellor with me and the response I get is that it's me with the problem, not him. He refuses to talk to anyone, even friends and family. This makes it very difficult. I have tried getting information for him to read but either he isn't interested in reading it or feels that he already knows everything, especially since he was the one who originally told me I'm probably suffering from post natal depression. I hope it all works out as well, I'm trying to stay positive and be nice to him until he makes the final decision as to whether he wants to stay and tough it out or leave. I'm not going anywhere because I want all this to work out! Thanks for your advice but there's not a lot you can do when your husband isn't willing to work through it as well!
hi there peoples..

i am just a new mum have a 9 week yr old boy whom i love to bits... since haveing him though i am getting really bad mood swings.. one minute i am happy laughing, joking around and my normal hyper self, than next minute i could be yelling and getting up my partner for the littlest stupid things.. last night i had a big cry and for no reason at all.. i dont know whats going on.. can you let me know some signs of pnd.. i am worried and i hate feeling like this.. my email address if mmelby79@hotmail.com if anyone would like to email me with info or just wanna talk.. would be nice..

thanks for listening hope to hear from you soon

Mel, Briz, 3 children

Sign in to follow this topic