Huggies Forum

Hair yucky and falling out..... Lock Rss

Hi everyone,
Before I had my daughter I had nice healthy hair, but since I gave birth 6 1/2 months ago it's gone really dry and yuck. Heaps also falls out.
I know that it is something to do with my body being run down cus I breast feed, but I was wondering if anyone knows of something that could help??? Thanx, Julia

julia, tas, 8mth baby

Julia

Sorry I have no suggestions, but my hair always falls out, especially when I have just washed it and while I dry it. The bathroom floor is covered in hair. Maybe check with your hairdresser if you are really concerned.

Julie, mum to Abby 05/02/04 & Joel 12/04/07

Hey..I hear you...I have exactly the same problem..except I dye my hair or get it dyed from the hairdressers... and thats apparently worse...my hairdresser recommended that I was to go and get a treatment done once a week for about a month...I think it costs about $25...ideally that would be good but I really haven't got around to getting it done...I suppose you could have this done if you have the finances and the time.
Hope this helps....
Em

Mum to Jai and Chase!

Hi Julse,

I had this problem as well. Apparently it is quite normal and eventually your hair will stop falling out. I read in "What to expect the first year" that it can last for 6 months but when I asked my maternal health nurse she said it can last for longer than that.

My hair has finally stopped falling out and is slowly getting back to normal.

Hope this helps

Mum to (Olivia 3 Feb 2004) & (Emily 26 Jan 2006)

Hi Julia,
I have read Belles response to this, and am going to get myself checked out. I had to give up breastfeeding at 4 & 1/2 months for the same reason, that my hair was falling out. Are you taking the mini pill? I have learnt so much about hair these last couple of months. The mini pill is full of testosterone, which creates a sebum build up on your scalp. Regular (I do mine every second day) washing of your hair and not placing too many oily things or things that can clog on your scalp. Otherwise wash hair even more regularly. Massage scalp (not rub) very regularly, brush with a natural bristle and not synthetic.
Products that I have found at the health food store is a range of hair care products the brand is Figaro, (a little pricey, but super concentrated, so balances out expense), there is a pamphlet that comes with it and explains so much and is great advice. My hairdresser showed me a DeLorenzo product that was a protein builder, she had suffered hair loss and had used that, she believes it has helped her, I have still to try it. Don't over-oil hair at the scalp, let it breath.
Sorry to say that the other thing is is to give up the mini pill and going on a full pill, which also means giving up breastfeeding. My Doc put me on Microgynon, which is a massive shot of Oestrogen, I used to take Diane 35ED and Aldactone to help balance my hormones, but needed something a little stronger this time around. My only problem is that I would like to try for another baby, so had to go off the pill. My hair loss is still there, but I have to keep it very clean and it doesn't fall out quite so much, but not as bad as before, the hair is growing back at my temples now.
My advice is to go talk to a Doc about it, health nurses have the best of intentions, but encourage and push breastfeeding a little too much and don't think of the mother, but only of the baby, (fair enough that they are thinking of our children, which is great, but we are human too and we need to be healthy to look after our little angels), if you don't like what the Doc says, insist on a blood test, or seek another opinion. Your health matters too.
Good Luck everyone.
Amanda

Jennifer 14.04.98, Eric 25.02.04, Gabriel 25.07.05

Hi There,

I had the same problem since having my son. I have changed to a natural shampoo and conditioner call ALCHEMY, it is an organic product that is not tested on animals. It can be brought over the internet or at a natural health food store for about $22.50 for 500mls, so it's pretty good value. It has really worked for me and I'm always getting comments now on my hair!! Hope you have the same success.

Qld Mummy, 22 month baby boy, 1 MC 11 weeks

Hi All, just wanted to say that I had hair falling out in handfuls from when my baby was about 4 months old, quite normal apparently. It has now stopped falling out and I just noticed when I put it up that I have hair about 2 cms long growing back so hopefully it won't look so thin soon....

Samantha, NSW

Hello,
My hair has now returned to what it was like before i had Georgia. I went to my hair dresser and got a heap cut off the length and i also use a Panteen Pro V solution a few times a month.
Also i found out that eating foods like nuts and fish can help it.

julia, tas, 8mth baby

hello

very common, my hair is awful at the moment, my husband is shocked at how much hair i leave all over the house, especially after washing it....
a friend told me it is caused by calcium deficiency, but it definately has something to do with me breastfeeding and being on the mini pill

QLD, 2 Sets of Twins

Hi Julia,

apparently nobody really knows why this happens and sometime after 8 months the excessive hair loss stops, and, after 12 months, new thick hair starts to grow,

By the age of your post, it looks like maybe your hair should not be falling out as much now, or is about to stop falling out as much...smile

I hope your going well,

Cheers
Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

I think i posted in another thread, but after 3 kids in 4 years mine got that bad it was either spend a couple of hundreds$$ fixing it or saving it off, i chose to shave it off smile

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

yes I imagine that 3 kids in 4 years will do it to you!!...smile
is it growing back now?...or are you keeping it shaved?...

Cheers
Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Sign in to follow this topic