Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

No Family? Lock Rss

My partner & I moved to QLD earlier this year. His family is in NSW & mine in SA. We have a few friends here but all of them have little babies too. I would love to go out one night without our son but we have no-one to leave him with. If it was an emergency I could leave him with one of my friends but since their babies are a month older/younger than mine they already have their hands full.

My best friends little boy is 4 weeks younger than my boy & her partner is very competitve, always comparing my bub and his bub & I feel that my son would be left alone too much I feel like my relationship is suffering a bit, a need to spend some time with my fiance.

Any suggestions?
My brother and sister moved and had no family around. They were put in contact with the Salvation Army and they have people who do that baby sitting. costs about $3 per hour and the lady who did theirs was a mum whos children were in their 20's, this lady came to their house too.

Maybe talk to CHN or an out of school hours care organisation and they may be able to put you in contact with someone.

You could also strike a deal with a friend and they look after ur boy one night while u go out and then you return the favour so they can go out.
Hi Shar,

We moved from SA to Perth in earlier this year and are pretty much in the same position as you regarding family. Our families are in SA and VIC. Would it be possible for one of your families to visit you to help give you some time with your fiance?

My mum ended up coming to Perth for a week which was great as my little girl (6.5 months now) got to spend alot of time with her and it gave me a little break each day so I could go out and spend a bit of time with my husband also. Though we didn't fully maximise her being with us, ie not going out for dinner and a movie like we had grand plans to, it still was nice for my little one to play and focus on someone else rather than me just for a few hours each day.

If you aren't too happy leaving your little one wit your competitive friends, don't unless, like you said, it is an emergency. There is nothing worse than having people compare your baby to theirs or someone that you both know. Sure we all do it, but we are tactful and sensitive enough not to do it out loud. It is the worst thing you could do to compare babies. Mind you though, there is comparing out of curiosity and comparing like a competition if you know what I mean.

I don't know if this helps but I hope you know that you are not alone. We are still facing the same issue now that mum left a few weeks ago and I feel right back where we started as I dearly would like to have some time with my lovely husband just by ourselves and time to myself without anyone else to look after.

Perhaps let your fiance know how you are feeling, he may not be aware how much the problem is affecting you.

Hope this helps..good luck and let me know how it goes.

SJ smile
Sign in to follow this topic