Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Looking after yourself with a Baby
  5. post natal depression, what are the signs/symptoms

post natal depression, what are the signs/symptoms Rss

Hello everyone!
I worked up until about a month before baby was born and the travelling to work via public transport and stress of sitting uncomfortably for 8 hours and travelling another 1 1/2 hours on a crowded train was enough until one day I lost it. I yelled at a man at the Bus stop for smoking next to me my blood pressure was high and my doctor told me I was a candidate for PND.

My baby will be 10 months next week, often I feel under pressure to present an image to everyone that I have it all under control when the truth is sometimes you don't !!! Sometimes I cry to myself !

What are the common signs/symptoms of PND how long does it last ? How do you know if you have it or just having a bad day sometimes?

Vic, 3 y.o boy

Hi scorpion. I have an Americian book called " This is what I expected" overcoming postpartum depression(PND,same thing just the Americians call it postpartum). They have a check list and it says
these are statements often made by women suffering from PND. Look over the list and check any statement that correspond to your own feelings

1.I cant shake feeling depressed no matter what I do.

2.I cry at least once a day.

3. I feel sad most or all of the time.

4.I cant concentrate.

5. I dont enjoy the things that I used to enjoy.

6. I have no interest in making love at all, even through my doctor says i'm now physically able to resume sexual relations.

7.I cant sleep, even when my baby sleeps.

8.I feel like a failure all of the time.

9. I have no energy, I am tired all the time.

10. I have no appetite and no enjoyment of food(or , I am having sugar and carbohydrate craving and compulsively eating all the time).

11. I cant remember the last time I laughed.

12. Every little thing gets on my nerves lately. Sometimes, I am even furious at my baby. Often I am angy with my husband.

13. I feel that the future is hopeless.

14.It seems like I will feel this way forever.

15. There are time when I feel that it would be better to be dead than to feel this way for one more minute.

Although most new mothres will easily relate to one or two of the statements listed above, they also will have periods of good feelings and see that things will improve as this transition period progresses. However, women with PND usually agree with many or even all of the statements included here and generally feel these symptoms most or all of each and every day. If you agreed with four or more of these statements, you may be suffering from the PND. Typically, PND s only diagnosed when these symptoms have lasted for two or more weeks.

There is a common myth that PND only happens in the first few months. This is not so it can happen at any time.

Having sad all this scorpion if you are even questioning that you may have this I would strongly recommend you have a chat to your GP. As you know they have fantastic things they can do to help you. PND is as common as a cold and a lot of people you meet have or had it and you wouldnt know, as you said it is important to them to be seen as they have it all under control. I know all about this as I suffered from it myself. The hardest part for me was accepting I had it as I thought I was "stronger than that". I could relate to the first 12 statements...............
Take care!!
OMG - how scary, the only one I didn't relate to was the sleeping one - I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat.
Hi Sandy,

Like you I relate to all of the points in the list except for the sleeping one. I have been diagnosed with PND for the last 6 months. I was really bad to start with but with the help of medication, I am much better at coping with the everyday tasks of looking after my now 9 month old. It sounds like you do have it, but please see your doctor as soon as possible, because the medication makes a HUGE difference.

Good luck.

Sam

Mum to toddler

ive been questioning if im a sufferer for the past few months.
all mum says to me is that i need a chocolate and it hormones, or i must be getting my periods soon.

so i let it go another few days stikk cring like a baby everynight , its the only way i can get tired enough,
yo vertually cry myself to sleep. and cause my other half does nightshift he has no idea. and ive always been his backbone and i feel if he sees me crumble then he will aswell

actually now that i think about it, im so tired of staying strong for everyone else.
i'd love to just fly away ........... be free as a bird

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

get help! I did and am starting to feel better, but if I had listened to others I may never have done it. I was told that it's just tiredness etc..... but it turned out to be a bit more than that. I had a big hormone imbalance that needed to be treated, as well as a few other issues, but I am coming good now after 9 mths of feeling like a failure. If you think you have PND, see someone!! smile

qld, 10yr boy, 14mth girl

Hi Sandra,

I am just starting to get help finally I have a 10 month old little girl and I was crying and snappy and irritable everyday until one day I just went off the edge and didn't want my little girl any more and realised there was something seriously wrong and I saw my GP and he got on the track to recovery.

If you feel depressed, anxious, irritable or feel that there is something wrong at all get help straight away its not worth putting off because it will only get worse.

Gook luck and let us know how you get on.

Pauline
Sign in to follow this topic