Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Do you ever really get over PND? Rss

After suffering from PND for 7 months, I finally got some help and was medicated for 4 months. Mediation (though I was initially opposed to it) was the breathing space I needed to get my head, feelings - everything in order. Sadly though, in opting for medication I had to stop the breastfeeding that I was trying to maintain: Catch - 22!). I have been unmedicated for the last 6 months and working in a stressful job is challenging - so I'm wondering, do you ever really get over it? I'm on edge just waiting for the relapse.

Louise, Finlay (4 Feb, 02), Mackenzie (18 Jan, 06)

Hi Louise.

I am a new mum to a 5 mth old baby boy. I am not back at work yet, but I am scared of going back.

I am a sufferer of PND, although only very mild. I go to the gym twice a week to get my time out. Although I am already starting to stress about how I am going to cope when I go back to work.

Before I had my son I was a very confident, easy going, laid back, joker. Now I find my self uptight, withdrawn and very emotional. I havn't spoken to my GP about it as I am scared, i guess. I always wonder if this is what I am going to be like forever or if it will get better. Maybe this is just me finally maturing, even if I do not like it.

Bec, TAS, 5mth baby boy

Thanks for the reply Becky - it helps just talking/writing about it, you know. Keep me posted with your PND progress - it does get better.
I went back to full-time work when my son was only 9 weeks old. I think I'm still mourning that lost time.
Keep smiling,
Louise

Hi you guys, I have been hovering around the very fine line that is PND on one side and exhastion on the other. It all depends on how well my baby is going as to whether I feel OK or not. This has only happened with my second baby, with my first I was fine the whole time and rarely missed a beat (just missed sleep of course). This time I have been getting counselling through the community health program and have been into a mother and baby live-in clinic for a five day stay to combat the PND. It seems to have worked as I am not so bad everyday, just a couple of times a week (rather than a couple of imtes a day) much to my daughter (3yrs) and husband's releif. I think you definitely do get over it, as my cousin suffered quite badly with her second baby too, but pulled out of it and is doing really well now. You have to take things one day at a time and try and do things just for you at least twice a week, no work, no husband, no pets, no child, just for you. Try not to wait for it to reoccur and concentrate on each day but find things to look forward to each week. Hope all gets better for you,

Helen, ACT

Thanks, Helen.
I haven't visited this site for awhile and was in need of your reflection. It is a fine line between PND and exhaustion - i now know that. Trouble is, my work commitments mean I constantly tread a fine line on the exhaustion track...also, where I am, support is thin on the ground - so this forum is it!
Thanks again,
Louise QLD.

Hi Louise my name is Narelle and I have a 7 month old daughter. I have been suffering from pnd since she was born. I am on medication but recently my doctor had to increase the does because i wasnt getting any better. You do eventually get over it, they say in about 12 months but that feels like a lifetime to me. It sounds like you need to go back on the medication otherwise you will have a relapse. I know its not nice to say but it happened to me. I thought I could cope without those horrible pills and went off them without telling anyone. Sure enough something happened one day to make me go off the deep end. I was gonna leave my husband and my kids and go run in front of a moving truck!! Luckily I am getting back to normal now with the support of my family and friends. Feel free to email me if you need to talk. my email address is jessemon2003@!yahoo.com.au
please look after yourself! regards Narelle.

Narelle, VIC, Mum to Monica & Jessica,EDD 24th May

I am with you on this topic I have suffered for the past for months and found that prozac did not help so I went onto aropax. This worked wounders although I still am not back to the true me yet. I have just been told that this horrible rash I have broken out in is a reaction to aropax so here we go again to try and find another drug that works. I have been addmited and absoultley hated it so I desprately want to get better so I can enjoy my children and have fun with them while they grow and devlope. There has to be an invention made to help us pnd suffers get thourgh this stage really quick.
Best of luck to you
Rachel
NZ

Rachel Southland NZ

Sign in to follow this topic