Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Looking after yourself with a Baby
  5. Mental Illness and the affects on children

Mental Illness and the affects on children Rss

i have recently been diagnosed with a mental illness which i have been to scared to admit to for ages
i was just wondering if anyone out there has or is going through the same as me and has any advice
the problems i am havin in my relationship are affecting my little girl and are caused by me
what does it feel like to live a normal life as i have had this since b4 i was a teenager and now i have to get help for the sake of my daughters happiness and my fiances sanity
(not to mention my own)
PLS ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

DD may 03, DS oct 06

Hi Mummy 1300,

Well i can't speak from my own experiences, but my sisters. She was also diagnosed with a mental illness after the birth of her second child, but it was considered she had suffered it since an early age. Most likely due to the death of our mum 11 years ago.

Most importantly, today she is wonderful, mainly from the help of medication, but she has been off it for 2 years now.

Although i have no answers for you, talk to your Dr or whoever you need to talk to and let people help! There are answers out there, and people who have over come such problems,

Tepe

PS, I am sorry if i underestimate any problems you have, i am only trying to help

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi mummy 1300. I just want to give you a great big hug. I hope you are getting lots of support from your family, friends and help from your GP or councellor.
The death of my mother, who by the way suffered from mental illness did in fact have an impact on my life. I have drifted in and out of depression and Im quite sensitized to alot of things, especially looking after a baby and getting alot of anxiety along with it. I had Post natal deprssion for the first 3 months, during that time I didnt feel like myself and was always cracking it , but I do believe my mother contributes to this. She had schitzophenia and was often dillusional. When she wasnt hearing noises she was always very negative and anxious and often violent, didnt have many if anything nice to say to me or about me. Unfortunately she didnt realise she was sick until right at the end when medication helped her become a more pleasant and compassionate person. Anyway she died of cancer, but she never realised her illness made her incapable of having a functional relationship with anyone. She was an extremely lonely person and only realised this when she was on her medication. What my point is: you know that something isnt right and you have a chance to fix the problem and lead a normal and happy life. You dont want your little girl to suffer as I too have to watch myself and not be taking out my moods on my baby boy.
Best of luck
I really hope everything works out.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Hi Mummy 1300,

I think, the fact that you have asked for advice here just goes to show you are aware of the problem, and are will to try and help it.

I really hope thing are OK for you,

Tepe

It depends on what mental illness it is?
This is so hard to answer?
Are the kids in danger of being hurt or neglected?
Or are you asking whether the kids will end up with a mental illness? For example some obsessive compulsives hand down behaviours to their child. Or Schizophrenia has genetic links.
I am willing to share what knowledge I have with you. If you don't want it shown to the world my email is PMHW@hotmail.com
Many people with mental illness are great parents.

mum of 3

hi everyone

i would just like to say thankyou for replying and especially the big hug

as of yet i am not on any meds as i have to book in to see the dr soon.
i have suffered depression since yr 8 (14) in which is the time i started smokin as it was 'cool' (i dont anymore) but it didnt get real bad until yr 10 (15 it was early on) which is one i begun to plummit, i hung out with my 3 best guy friends and got into some pretty bad stuff (dont worry not to bad) as 1 of them was doin his HSC and suffered depression really bad and tried to kill himself in front of me

i dropped out of school at the start of yr 12 set to start my life in the air force and rebuild myself as i had left my friends and all the trouble i was diving into but i failed the phsyc test and was sent bac home

i then went bac to a downward spiral and started hangin out with worse ppl and was always fightin with my parents about the ppl i hung around parked at maccas in our cars and causin trouble and only realised where i was going wen one of my 'friends' broke my nose in a fight and i went into hiding for a few months until i moved in with my ex fiance at 17 but left him because he lied about givin up drugs

then i meet my fiance and had my bubba and am having trouble as i dont know how i feel about him as i have alot of feeling for my new best friend who is the most wonderful person in the world

also on top i have anger management problems which is wat makes me fiance treat me the way he does as he dont understand but he is the first bf i havent punched

so if you took the time to read all that i thankyou with all my heart it is nice to know that someone cares and there is a different life out there
cos i would love to live a life like others

thankyou
and sorry it so long

DD may 03, DS oct 06

Hi mummy1300

Well i have no experience with any type of mental illness but I just wanted tou let you know I am thinking of you & your baby. I think the fact that you have cried out for help & acknowledged the fact that you need help is a HUGE step for you & that you have a lot of things that need to be sorted out in your life. Remember to stay strong for your beautiful baby & i hope everything works out for you both.

Cheers

Michelle - Mum to 2

Hi Mummy 1300,

Wow, things haven't been exackly smooth sailing for you. I think you are doing really well, by talking about all of this, and realising your problems.

I hope you have made that appointment with your Dr, and you tell him everything you wrote here. Your Dr will be able to help,

Take care,

Tepe

thanks again guys its great to get things off my chest

i just thought id update
i have had a big fight with my best friend and extremely confused about my feelings
i just feel that i am being neglectated (i cant spell) and that is y i grew so close to my best friend because he didnt know me wen i was skinny
and he loves me for who i am now

anyhow i forgot to mention that have had anger management probs since yr 3 wen dad and i started some serious fightin cos we are to much alike
byes ill let you know how i go at the docs

mandi

DD may 03, DS oct 06

Sign in to follow this topic