Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Looking after yourself with a Baby
  5. Losing weight while breast feeding

Losing weight while breast feeding Rss

HI everyone,
Before I fell pregnant with my beautiful baby boy I was a size 12 but since having him I am stuck at a size 16 which I am not all that happy about, I am still breastfeeding and relise that I can't diet until I stop but I plan on feeding him till he is at least 12 months, so I was wondering if anyone had any advise for me.
Its not my husband that has the problem he says I have never looked better but I am finding it harder to look at my self in the mirror.
Please help
Sulee

sulee,nsw,babyb'day15/8/2003

I would just suggest eating sensibly (sorry if you already do). When I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes and so had to eat much better than I had been (no chocolate etc) and I lost weight. Baby was still growing fine, but I lost fat that I didn't need.

If you are really concerned perhaps you could speak to a dietician at your local hospital or Community Health Centre.

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Hi,
I went to weight watchers when I was breastfeeding my first son. I was given a special plan and had alot more to eat then everybody else and the weight dropped off quite quickly. With eating lots of healthy food and excercising my son and I were still getting all the nutrients we needed, he kept thriving and I lost weight. It worked well for me.

Good Luck
Tracy

Tracy NSW, 2 boys, 4 and 2

I was the same way, but, unfortunetely, I did eat a lot of food which I did not need - chocolate and other things. I then stopped all of that and decided to become really really 'healthy' where I cut out all snacks and only ate at meal times, drank heaps of water (2 L daily min) and only ate good foods rather than bad, and the weight just dropped off me - I loved it! I had heaps of people comment to me all of the time saying that I have lost weight and done well. One person even said to me "whatever you are doing, keep on doing it!".
If you already are eating healthy, only other suggestion I may have is try and increase exercise. This may help.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Hi Sulee

Yeah i know how you feel, my daughter is eight months old. Immediately after having her I weighed 60kg and I still weigh the same.
I'm desperate to get back into my size eight clothes but it seems tho i'm stuck with the extra weight.
I thought feeding her would help me loose my baby weight but that hasn't happened. I have gone on weeks of healthy eating plans but STILL NO RESULTS.

I'm wondering if i'll ever get back!!!
Hello,

I am excited for after trying to do areobics ( i am breastfeeding too) pilates , yoga and weights at home with videos, I have started using a fitball. I bought it really cheap from ebay. I bought a fitball for dummies from big w and I am seeing results after a week.

It is easy, non impact, and you can do it in a limited amount of space. I do it every night when Gg goes to sleep for the night and I just love it.

I have a gym membership but Gg does not like to be left (is 6months old) and I am too chicken to persist with her separation anxiety.

Give it a try, it has made me feel fantastic

Kathy
Thanks Cathy I will defiantly try this as it seems easy and quite cheep and I have not left my baby at all yet so it sounds good

sulee,nsw,babyb'day15/8/2003

Hi there,
I can understand how you feel. I have had 8 & 1/2 years between pregnancies & it took a quite a while to get my body to how I wanted it & now I have to start over again. As much as I enjoyed the pregnancy etc it is challenging to get yourself back in shape & keep healty after all if you are happy & healthy everyone benefits. I did try & follow a Weight Watchers Lactating diet but am not good at following menu plans for more than a couple of days or so. I have been told by a dietician that we need to eat a certain amount of kilojules a day for whatever out body needs as fuel & anything else left over gets stored i.e. don't eat more than you need or if you do exercise more. My best was at losing & maintaining weight is to have everything in moderation & do some sort of exercise for an hour a time at least 3 times a week or 20 mins a day. It is very hard to stick to diets at this stage of our mothering so don't beat yourself up about it, try cutting out a few luxuries if you like to indulge which most of us do & reduce your sugar intake. Not just sweet sugar, but sugar found in carbohydrates & bread.

danni,sa

Sign in to follow this topic