Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Screaming babies Rss

I'm a young mum, my baby is 4 1/2 months old and I can't handle her baby crying all the time. Half the time I don't know whats wrong with her. It drives me crazy because I have checked and tried everything. I am starting to hear constant crying in my head. I have even taken her to a doctor and she smiles at him as if there isn't anything wrong.
I starting to wonder if she doesn't like me. What can I do to make her not cry so much? Does anyone know of fun games that won't make her cry?
Hi Jade's Mum,
Try not to stress. The more you get stressed and worried about her crying, the more she will pick up on, and cry more. Babies can sense when their mums are unhappy and worried and will cry. Try singing nursery rhymes to her and clapping hands softly. Have you tried a dummy?? My son was crying all the time when he was born. He was acting like he wanted to feed all the time, but when I tried to feed him, he just cried and didn't want it. I gave him a dummy (the only one of my kids to take one), and we haven't looked back. He only has it now when he is tired, and going to bed. Hope this has been of some help.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi, I found that when my son cried a lot that massage helped. If all else failed I would take his pants and socks off and lay him on his back on my lap with his legs elevated and rub his feet and legs. This seemed to calm him down and helped me relax a bit too. I also found that if I was stressed that he would pick up on it. Having a shower always makes me feel better. Hope this helps.

Danielle

Danielle, 28, Vic, 1st son born 2/6/03

HI
I know it is hard when your baby cries and you just can't figure out why. I have twin boys and one that cried quite often. Some things that I tried that worked was taking his pants, socks and nappy off and massage his legs and feet. This seemed to work well and even does now at 11 mths. I think they like the freedom. On a nice day I would put them in the pram and walk around the street or even in the backyard round and round the paving. The crying doesn't seem as bad outside and the fresh air helps.

Have you tried relaxation music. I have a CD called "Dreaming" that I put on every night for them. It's amasing to see how they really do work. Both of the boys lie in their beds listening and drifting off to sleep with it. An activity mat with dangling toys to keep her amused during the day might also help.

When all else failed I would end up having a little cry with my little one. This helps release the stress and tension I was feeling and then I felt better and could try things again. It does get better and evetually you work out what your little one likes and is trying to tell you.

justine, VIC, twins boys

I also believe that the baby picks up on the fact that your stressing. I was the same. He got better at around 6 months when they can play and entertain themselves. Some babys are just a little unsure of the world. Jackson would cry when ever he was awake. I thought he would never smile or laugh. But now he is the happiest little boy in the world. Taking him in the pram for a walk helped me through.

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

Hi Jade's Mum

I agree with what everyone is saying!

have you tried taking jade for a walk when she is crying once you have established she is not hungry!

If you take her for a walk things don't seem so bad and you get some fresh air as well.

I hope everything works out for you

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

To all who replied

Thank you everyone for all the advice. Fortunately, Jade has become settled now and seldom crys. She has gotten into a habit of making several noises to ammuse herself. (thank god)

Taking her for a walk puts her to sleep most of the time but I found that letting her play with toys by herself on the sheepskin rug made her really tired. I also realised that I was waking her when I went to sleep at night as she was in my room. I moved her into a room of her own and she sleeps pretty much for 12 hours each night. It made Jade and me irritable if we didn't get enough sleep which is why I was having lots of problems.

Thank you
Jade's Mum
You poor thing. There is nothing worse than a crying baby, it's kind of like fingernails on the chalk board but worse.

Have you tried a baby harness ? Some babies just need close contact with their Mum's alot more than others.

At least with a harness you can get on with things and in particular, get out of the house and go shopping or visiting.

Have you also checked that she is getting enough to eat, or if she has reflux or wind ?

Over stimulation can also cause crankiness in babies.

Good luck and get out of the house if you can.

Therese, BRISBANE, 3yr old boy 6 wk girl

Hello Jade's mum,
My daughter screamed a lot until about 6 months of age, we found that her back was out. We started taking her to the chiropractor and it has rectified the problem.

Cristie, SA, boy 18/04/01, girl 22/05/03

Hi there,

Does your baby cry when you pick her up? Or only when you put her down?

My boy cried every time I laid him down.. mostly for no reason as I couldnt find something wrong with him.. I just put it down to colic and wind and he almost always stopped when I picked him up..

I bought a baby carrier called a hug-a-bub, so that I could carry him with me but still be able to do other things.. it is the best thing I have bought.

He loves it and goes to sleep so easily in it.. and I can still walk around and do things like housework and shopping even!

There are some on ebay if you want to have a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2391031481&category=20412

Good Luck!

Brodie's mama, NT

The book Sleep Right, Sleep Tight was a life-saver for us. You only need to read the first chapter.

When my baby screamed during the first six weeks, during the day, i would lie on the bed with her and she would scream in my face and I would just talk to her! I felt totally deranged doing it but it kept me sane!!
Also, when I go out, I lay her down on her tummy in the pram (if your pram can do this) and I can go out for hours. I open the flap and she can see everything. I have an excellent view of her and she can see everyone elso approaching and they always have a good chuckle and say what a great idea!
It's all trial and error. She also love Gymbaroo.
Sign in to follow this topic