Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. at what age do babies cry with tears???

at what age do babies cry with tears??? Rss

i am curious as to when babies get their tears. my daughter had a blocked tear duct for her 1st 6wks of life. she is 5mths old now and when she cries there are never any tears. and she doesnt cry very often.
when she does cry people say stuff like
"ahh she is normal " or "she does cry"

but with no tears.

thanx

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Hi chelby

My daughter is nearly 15months and she has only ever had tears when she is sick, when she was younger and cried she never had any, I thought it was weird too but every kid is different so dont worry about it too much. Aimee doesnt cry much either.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

i guess thats a good thing smile that they dont cry much. thanx 4 ur speedy reply

Hi

You asked when do babies get their tears? They have them from birth. Babies are able to cry tears from birth. Tear ducts are called lacrimal glands if you want to look it up?
Maybe could mention it to the dr or child clinic nurse when you see them next.

mum of 3

My son is 5 months old now, and he has been crying 'tears' for at least a few months now! It's kind of cute, but it also makes me sad to see his tears ... I feel like when he cries tears that he's REALLY upset! Which isn't always the case, but it just feels that way!

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

Hannah is 5mths too. i might ask the health nurse next time i see her
sould i be concerned do you think?

Hi! My DS was born with a blocked tear duct and had it for over 6 months. They were ready to do surgery but it fixed itself. He didn't cry real tears then and still doesn't now. He's 16 months very healthy and happy and has only had real tears a couple of times and not until he was over 11 months. His eyes are clear and have been told there's nothing wrong with him and nothing wrong with not crying tears. I wouldn't worry and I bet she's healthy and there is nothing wrong with her but if you are worried then take her to the clinic or Dr to make sure she's fine. Don't worry!

Melbourne, 13 yr DD, 5.5 yr DS, 1.5 yr DS

Hi again

I never even thought about taking Aimee to see a doctor about not crying tears because she is healthy and it doesnt bother her so I dont worry, I also never thought about it being a blocked tear duct either as she has never had any problems with her eyes.
Dont be too concerned unless its bothering your daughter.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

It is not an immediate danger. So don't worry to much. The lacrimal glands have many functions for the eye and if the eye is not well lubricated then it can cause some damage to the eye after a while. Her eye may still be lubricated so don't panick. Just take her back to who saw her for the blocked duct and talk to them. It is better to be too over protect then not at all. Or you can drop in to the child health nurse any day so just drop by tommorrow and it will put your mind to ease. There probably is nothing to worry about.

mum of 3

Sign in to follow this topic